starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to figure out the right shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Regarding your form check, try turning your toes out a little more and actively shoving your knees out as hard as you can, keeping them there as you drive out of a hole. Once you get the shoes, take it slow and work with a TUBOW until they feel under control.
    I would say that 225 (what that vid was taken at) is the highest weight I can currently do while maintaining moderately decent form. Would you reduce it initially when switching footwear and if so, by how much?

I would not use lifting shoes outside of the gym. They are uncomfortable, expensive and not designed for walking.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    I would not use lifting shoes outside of the gym. They are uncomfortable, expensive and not designed for walking.
    Thanks, that's pretty much all I needed to know. Of course, it now makes me question even more how/why women can wear high-heels for walking anywhere but I guess they look better in those than dudes in lifting shoes ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question (and it probably is), but would a wooden heel make a shoe less suitable for walking to/from the gym (about 4 blocks each way) so as not to have to bring shoes with?

Going to head to some stores today and see if perhaps they have the ugliest possible color of one of the Nike or Adidas (the good ones) on sale.
    Don't wear your weightlifting shoes anywhere but in the gym, or even at the gym for anything running- or box jump-like. They're a purpose-built apparatus, and will last a long, long time if you avoid abusing them in this way.

Except if you buy the shiny blue things that Wei Rui has on clearance for like $45, mine exploded the third time I put them on my feet and were promptly returned for a full refund. The other shoes they make are typically well-liked, however. And Tom Narvaez seems to be a fan of the Sabo powerlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Don't wear your weightlifting shoes anywhere but in the gym, or even at the gym for anything running- or box jump-like. They're a purpose-built apparatus, and will last a long, long time if you avoid abusing them in this way.

Except if you buy the shiny blue things that Wei Rui has on clearance for like $45, mine exploded the third time I put them on my feet and were promptly returned for a full refund. The other shoes they make are typically well-liked, however. And Tom Narvaez seems to be a fan of the Sabo powerlifts.
    Was intrigued by the VS Athletics, since they're like $85 and get a better review than anything else at that price.

Also saw these, but they seem to be a different setup than typical olympic shoes (slightly lower heel, no external plastic around heel):

http://www.maxbarbell.com/collection...ng-shoes-black

These too much like those Adidas Powerlifts that are said to not be particularly good weightlifting shoes?

Will see if the Nike or Adidas stores have any old season colors (if they even vary them) on sale when I'm downtown later, though I have no idea whether their big stores even sell them or if they're too specialized.
    Last edited by DannyP; 12-21-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    I would say that 225 (what that vid was taken at) is the highest weight I can currently do while maintaining moderately decent form. Would you reduce it initially when switching footwear and if so, by how much?
    No way to tell, really. Just go by feel.

I've used the VS Athletics, Adidas Powerlifts, Adidas Adipowers and the Nike Romaleos. By far the best bang for you buck will be the Adipowers or the Romaleos. I've never paid full-price for any of the Adipowers or Romaleos I've bought so sales can be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I love that shoe and I highly recommend it!

starting strength coach development program
    Ended up ordering these to give them a try:

http://www.reebok.com/us/reebok-cros...40709_570.html

Ordered them from Champs because they were down to $125 and shipping was free/I can return to store if they don't fit. Haven't seen them discussed here but looked like they met the criteria for a good shoe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12