starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting to Low Bar Squat

Default Converting to Low Bar Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am an olympic lifter and tonight started low bar squat. I would greatly appreciate any and all criticism of my squats tonight. Must say they felt odd and heavy, but its my first time trying them. I am trying to switch to low bar primarily to save my knees, which dont track well. Hopefully the various camera angles are helpful, i train in a very small shed. Thanks for any help!
    http://youtu.be/irO7WhSlk0M
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/irO7WhSlk0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You're breaking at the knees before the hips. Then your knees stop going forward, but then they start again towards the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    You're breaking at the knees before the hips. Then your knees stop going forward, but then they start again towards the bottom.
    Thanks very much Adam, very kind of you. I will use a wood block then to stop the knee slide at bottom. I must be mis-understanding Starting Strength 3 - as i deliberately moved knees forward at start, and then hips back?

That cue should fix you right up. Ideally, the knees and hips unlock simultaneously at the top for a smooth descent. Then, about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down, the knees have reach their farthest point forward and the rest of the motion is hips (and knees spread out). Don't over-think it. The block of wood should encourage the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    That cue should fix you right up. Ideally, the knees and hips unlock simultaneously at the top for a smooth descent. Then, about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down, the knees have reach their farthest point forward and the rest of the motion is hips (and knees spread out). Don't over-think it. The block of wood should encourage the right position.
    Thank you very much for that! Am i also correct in saying that with low-bar, i dont have to go ass-to-ground anymore? Ass to ground is all i have ever done .

Your depth on these looked close to what we advocate: hip crease just below the patella. Usually, lifters who go too deep are relaxing to get there, and that's something to avoid. You looked tight though. I wouldn't alter depth much.

Also, what's the heel height on those oly shoes?

Your depth on these looked close to what we advocate: hip crease just below the patella. Usually, lifters who go too deep are relaxing to get there, and that's something to avoid. You looked tight though. I wouldn't alter depth much.

Also, what's the heel height on those oly shoes?
    Thanks. They are 42mm/One inch 3/4. Do-win.

Yes. Listen to the steel bear.

Think about knees and hips breaking together, then once the knees hit their final spot they just stay there for the rest of the rep. You will feel the magic and glory of hip drive if you do this correctly, and if you think about shoving your sacral spine UP, as if the weight were sitting a few inches above your buttcrack rather than up on your scapulae.

Thanks folks, i appreciate this greatly! On the subject of lifting shoes, i will have to buy a new pair soon as the suede is stretching loose. Which shoe on the market currently has the lower heel? As i would like to drop height to take pressure off patella tendons.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinKBell View Post
    Thanks folks, i appreciate this greatly! On the subject of lifting shoes, i will have to buy a new pair soon as the suede is stretching loose. Which shoe on the market currently has the lower heel? As i would like to drop height to take pressure off patella tendons.
    Can you get 3/4" Do-Wins over there? Adidas Power Perfect II's?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast