Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check, please.

Default Squat check, please.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Previous check.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ck-please.html

I have my SABO shoes now. Progress is all good. I just hope my squat form is still good after adding shoes.

I felt my body comes forward on the way up at some reps, but i'm not sure how to fix it. My right elbow has some tingling sensation, which I'm trying to fix by experimenting different grips (i'm sorry if it's not something you can see in my vid.) Can I just be holding the bar with just my pinky and right fingers? Widen grip(tried but feel kinda loose)? Elbow up more?

Also, I think I felt some impingement at my left groin. No pain, just some feeling that *ticks* at the last few inches of the way up, in some reps. Change stance? I think my knees are out. Out more?

I bought a tripod too, and I hope the light is sufficient. I really appreciate your work here, and your free, quality advices. Thank you a lot, coaches.

1st set at quarter behind. At 00:29

2nd set at quarter front. At 00:56

3rd set direct side. Start at 00:10

I only watched the first video. You are allowing the bar to drift forward a little on the way down and this continues on the way up. Right now you are bending your knees first and then leaning over. Try doing both at the same time as you start your descent. Think of keeping the bar over the middle of your foot the whole time. Get tighter. Fight the tendency to relax as you fatigue. I cannot really see your grip. Experiment to find something that is comfortable. Sometimes discomfort will come and go.

Should I be thinking "BACK!" as a cue? The mid-foot problem seems to come from the heel of the shoes, so now I have to think of fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig23 View Post
    Should I be thinking "BACK!" as a cue? The mid-foot problem seems to come from the heel of the shoes, so now I have to think of fixing it.
    Or "reach back."

Coach, sorry if i'm being dense. If the bar has drifted forward, does that mean my bottom position is wrong (or my standing position is wrong, but i dont think that is the case), and the back should be slightly more vertical? Or it should be more horizontal?

Also, i feel as if i go a few inches deeper, my lumbar will flex a bit (which i understand is why we dont go that deep) but the bar path seems to be better that way (or that is just how i feel). I'm wondering if that is actually the case or im just conjuring shit up.

I just watched your squats again and I am less sure that some of what I saw was actually a problem. You have some variation rep to rep and your shift forward a little at the bottom on some reps, but not all. Just keep doing what you are doing.

To your questions, don't flex your spine, but do go below parallel. You don't need to go hamstrings to calves. How you are standing at the top is fine. You want to be in balance and standing as normally as you can given that there is a bar on your back.

Coach Tom,

I have noticeable right elbow pain now. It didn't start immediately in the set but kicked in a few minute after my work set. I can feel it during my last warm up sets.

I tried to widen the grip, found that i lose too much tightness and can't squat. I tried to narrow it, and now the pain radiates down to the meat around my scapula. It hurts like being tear apart, got better after 10 mins rest so i can squat again, but continue after the next sets. End of the session i found the meat around my left scapula has some tingling sensation too.

Can this is because i lose the flexibility needed for narrow grip (used to use them in the past) that now when subjected to heavy weights, it hurts? Or it results from how I grip incorrectly? I really tried to get it right like in the book, and the recent video on SS. I think my hands bear some force to trap the bar to my back as i unrack it, but in a bad kind of way, but i cant seems to fix it (it will kinda slip if i had my hand completely over the bar, or im just not used to it.)

I get into possition by touching the bar with the bony part of my scapula then slide down a bit from there. Could this be the problem?

How do i fix this? Should I squat for the next sessions? Im really sorry if this is a stupid question, im just very frustrated with myself now.

FWIW, when i train at another gym (i trained at 2 gyms since i travel back n forth 2 places), the shitty bar is slick, (and thicker too i think) and the knurling is very smooth, i have no pain or anything like that.

Update: After an hour, the pain (or the strong sensation) went away.

Not sure. You don't want to beat the hell out of your elbows or shoulders. Make sure you are not trying to bend the bar across your back or otherwise pushing too hard on the bar during squats.

starting strength coach development program
    I think my right hands intercept some of the weight (which probably will have you go "duh!") by pushing the bar on to my trap. Tried wider, still pain in warm up that lingers on the outside of forearm. But I will try to experiment and stuff to continue squatting.

Here's my 2 thoughts: a) I have bad technique and/or b) the weights are heavy enough to hurt

Question: a) Is there legitimate cases that lifter can't do it the SS way and have to do other grip style instead i.e. super wide grip, or bent wrist (provided the stuff is tight, productive, and doesn't hurt)? Do you cost poundage this way? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

b) In the worst possible situation, should I switch to highbar, cognizant of the fact that I will be slightly less strong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast