starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: deadlift grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well if he's not using an alternating grip that is the problem right there. Not too many guys can hold 3 wheels for reps with a pronated only grip unless they hook.
    Sorry for my big meany comments...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Well if he's not using an alternating grip that is the problem right there. Not too many guys can hold 3 wheels for reps with a pronated only grip unless they hook.
    This.

Using a hook grip instead of alternating takes about 50kg (110#) off my max. Using an overhand grip without hook takes another 50kg off. My DL isn't much without those 100kg.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    This.

Using a hook grip instead of alternating takes about 50kg (110#) off my max. Using an overhand grip without hook takes another 50kg off. My DL isn't much without those 100kg.
    Really? I would not have expected a decrease, let alone that large of one. Mostly because I'm a newbie, and wouldn't know. I pulled 280 last night, my 5RM for 3 sets, with a double overhand grip. But I don't think I'll be able to keep doing that. I'm going to start alternating and alternated grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Really? I would not have expected a decrease, let alone that large of one. Mostly because I'm a newbie, and wouldn't know. I pulled 280 last night, my 5RM for 3 sets, with a double overhand grip. But I don't think I'll be able to keep doing that. I'm going to start alternating and alternated grip.
    My max doh is 160kgx2, hook 210kg, mix 245kg.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    My max doh is 160kgx2, hook 210kg, mix 245kg.
    Well I'll be damned - maybe I'll be adding significantly to my deadlifts sooner than I thought.

I noticed the same thing -- when I got to about 225 I started having issues with double overhand grip. When I got to 255 I started failing sets with double overhand, but the next week I'd get it. At 275 I got stuck for about a month, so I started doing hook grip for my last warmup and my workset. Using hook grip + chalk has elminated grip issues so far -- at least, none on 285 and I don't expect any @ 295. The other nice part is that even though I used to have trouble holding the bar double-overhand for 5 @ 225, I can do 5 @ 225 easy now double overhand. So even though I'm using hook grip + chalk on my work sets, my grip is still getting stronger.

It took me a few weeks to really get the hook grip. At first I was afraid, I think, to really FUCKING SQUEEZE THAT BAR with my poor little thumbs in the way. But I'd rather have sore thumbs then be a pussy.

i'm a pussy about having sore thumbs. mine kill me already so i'm leery of this hook grip.

Thumbs up

Hook the grip, Mr Bingley. It's worth it. My pathetic deadlift would be even less impressive without hooking. Plus, the thumb calluses are like no other.

Hmmm, chicks do dig calluses

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    Hmmm, chicks do dig calluses
    That's why clitoris and calluses Are an anagram.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast