starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Z Curl Bar Stands?

Default E-Z Curl Bar Stands?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don’t want to spend a ton of money on dumbbells and figured I could get by with most of the functionality an old Olympic E-Z Curl Bar that I have. Only problem is it’s a bit clumsy to load plates on it. The cheapest weightlifting stands I could find are at New York Barbell (TDS).

TDS at $84.95 per pair

I also found these cheap car jack stands on Amazon, so in order to avoid a senior moment brain fart, what’s wrong with this $25 solution?

Amazon $24.95

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    I don’t want to spend a ton of money on dumbbells and figured I could get by with most of the functionality an old Olympic E-Z Curl Bar that I have. Only problem is it’s a bit clumsy to load plates on it. The cheapest weightlifting stands I could find are at New York Barbell (TDS).

TDS at $84.95 per pair

I also found these cheap car jack stands on Amazon, so in order to avoid a senior moment brain fart, what’s wrong with this $25 solution?

Amazon $24.95

They probably don't go as high as you want them to, and they'll eat up the knurling on your bar. But they'd look great if you were to put the ez curl bar on them on your front yard, on some cinder blocks. Do you really need stands to load your ez curl bar?

I saw a youtube video of John Phung (I think? or some other inhumanly strong bastard. no matter) using similar jack stands as deadlift mini jacks, with just some velcro tape to protect the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Do you really need stands to load your ez curl bar?
    I'd just prefer to have them off the floor when loading them. "Need" no, prefer yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I like the jack stand idea. I wouldn't even bother with protecting the knurling on an EZ-curl bar.

I'd probably lash the release handles down with bungee cords. Harbor freight and $15 probably gets you everything you need.
    Yeah, but Home Depot and $8 would buy you a dazzling, sparkly new pair of these, which would work just as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yeah, but Home Depot and $8 would buy you a dazzling, sparkly new pair of these, which would work just as well:

It's an idea. Glad I don't live in Jersey these are only a $1.44 each at the local HomeDepot.

I like the blocks Adam pictured better, they would prevent the bar from rolling off.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I like the blocks Adam pictured better, they would prevent the bar from rolling off.
    I do too but Adam was being factitious. The block he pictured does not exist it's a 3d Model from a website and it not available from Home Depot.
    Unfortunately the ones I displayed are the real Home Depot product.
    All and all for $24 the jackstands would be easier to move out of the way when I don't need them.
    I would consider the $84 ones if I could think of some other use for them but I'm guessing it would be duplicate functionality since I have a decent rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post

TDS at $84.95 per pair

Amazon $24.95

Just make sure you don't exceed the rated capacity of the jack stands.

I just bought a similar jack stand at Wally World for less than $9

starting strength coach development program
    The Harbor Freight catalog arrived yesterday and they have a set of jack stands for $20. That got me thinking about improving on the height, as these seem a bit low, and I turned the page to see these Foldable Sawhorse. Cheaper by a $2 and 350lb capacity. Plus they store flat and you'll have sawhorses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast