starting strength gym
Page 472 of 517 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,720 of 5163

Thread: Garage gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Doesn't this mean that if you fail, the bar is gonna roll to your neck?
    It will roll to "over" your neck. I use straps in this setup all the time and they work great. Chest is highest point, so you really need it to roll towards head a bit so you can get full reps without hitting straps, but still be safe and able to escape on a missed rep.

Anyone in Ohio (or areas with similar climates) run in to any trouble with humidity rusting their bars in an attached garage.

Currently, I have everything in my basement and leave a space heater running. I'm moving soon and would like to move my set up to the garage. I've just never really paid enough attention to how humid the garage can get compared to outside, and if it would be enough to be a problem for a bare steel bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    Anyone in Ohio (or areas with similar climates) run in to any trouble with humidity rusting their bars in an attached garage.

Currently, I have everything in my basement and leave a space heater running. I'm moving soon and would like to move my set up to the garage. I've just never really paid enough attention to how humid the garage can get compared to outside, and if it would be enough to be a problem for a bare steel bar.

It's been non-stop humidity here.
    But Rogue just came out with the Ohio Power Bar in stainless steel.
    $395, but I'm damn close to pulling the trigger.

Just for the record, I said space heater, but I meant dehumidifier. I'm an idiot.

I bought the 200lb adjustable dumbells with the spinlock handles. I'm pretty happy with them. I have no issues when I rest them on my thighs for bench presses, just put the flat part of the plate on the thigh. Micro plates fit over the nut and hardly move at all.

I've been doing bench and presses with them. I had to start at a lower weight. Been re-doing novice progression due to a layoff. I was surprised at how much less weight than barbell I had to use, but it's steadily going up.

I still use my set of 25-50 lb hex dumbells for quicker warmups, changing plates can get annoying. They can be unevenly loaded, as iamsmuts pointed out, (2.5 on one side of the bar, and not the other) with no problem to get 5lb jumps (barbell equivalent).
    I have a wooden thing made of 2x4's to make changing plates quicker/easier. I see no need now for for those fancy expensive dumbells. Some kind of table seems like a good idea to keep from changing them on the floor all crouched over, but really I can swap them out pretty quickly.

The exercises themselves could benefit from the deep analysis Rip has given to the barbell variants.
    Standing press is nicer, because you don't have to keep the bar away from your face. My elbows are more to my sides than my front as a result. Not sure if that's a stronger position yet or not.

Also trying to figure out if I should try to keep the dumbells over the shoulder joint through the entire movement, or allow them to go outside. I guess I'll figure that out as I add weight.
    Unfortunately my press and bench are under 200 lbs, so I'll be able to use them for a bit, before needing heavier ones or going back to barbell.

Stainless steel Ohio Power Bar now available;

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-power-bar

Central Ohio, bare steel bar, unheated attached garage, 5 years. Some light surface rust.

Have a question for the masses:

I may be in the market to upgrade my existing rack. My current rack is comprised of steel channels for the vertical members and tubular steel at the base (sits flat on the floor). I'd have to get an accurate measurement for the steel thickness, but I'd guess 11 gauge. I'm getting to the point where I'm worried about its capabilities to safely handle the weights I use. Also, due to it being a bit lighter than some of the beast racks available, I have 120 lbs or sand and two 35 lb plates on its rear base for additional stability. Finally, although my garage has 9' ceilings, I'd want to get something no higher than 7.5' so I could still perform chins/pullups and not bang my head.

I'm looking for the following in a new or used rack:

(Must haves)
    1. Sits flat on the floor such that bolting the steel into the floor is not required
    2. Over 1000 lb capacity (at least) - more to be safe as I don't really trust everything I see regarding racks nowadays.
    3. Ability to attach bands below and above on each side
    4. Simple chinup/pullup bar (which is pretty much standard)
    5. Heavy duty safeties (or nylon straps) - still not sure on this option...maybe both?
    6. Properly coated or padded J-hooks

Optional items (not must haves)

1. Weight storage
    2. Monolift attachment capability

So, I've researched significantly. I've found three reasonably priced manufacturers:

Titan - Looking at the X-3 Short Rack: X-3 Short Flat Foot Power Rack
    Rep Fitness - looking at their new PR-3000 rack: Rep PR-3000 Power Rack
    Force USA - looking at their customizable rack: Force USA MyRack | Modular Power Rack

Basically, all three of these are similar to Rogue's RML-390F which is 800 + shipping (probably 75-100, but haven't actually checked).

I've seen the hit or miss nature regarding the quality and finish of Titan. I've heard they've improved their QC but their paint is prone to chipping and the welds aren't "clean." Structurally, though, if it isn't going to fail, then I'm not worried about looks.

Rep fitness looks decent as well...I know Cody really thinks they build a bench that has more bang for your buck. Force USA is only slightly less than Rogue. I believe they started out in Australia, but I haven't heard any reviews from anyone here in the US.

Final option is checking craigslist for used. I've seen a few legend racks anywhere between 600-1000, depending upon size. Those may be better than all of the above.

Tl;dr - best flat base heavy duty rack that won't set me back, priced between $500-800 US??

Titan, all the way my man. I love my T-3 and it's perfectly solid for me. The X-3 will be the way to go if you want the 3" rack

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post
    Titan, all the way my man. I love my T-3 and it's perfectly solid for me. The X-3 will be the way to go if you want the 3" rack
    Other than aesthetics (paint chips and sloppy welds), I've heard their racks are built like a brick shit house. The T-3 is comparable...ever have any concerns on weight capacity? Also, were there any fucked up vertical or horizontal members that weren't straight/plumb and required assistance from customer service?

Thanks for the quick reply.