starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift back check

Default deadlift back check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Am I pulling with a flexed spine?

You never really get your back fully into extension to begin with. Note the difference in your back right before you pull, and when you finish the rep. Also, stop that big jerk you do right before you pull. The squeeze up is a deliberate effort - you're trying to squeeze up and jerk the bar off the floor. Squeeze your chest up until the act of squeezing up starts to put tension into the bar (we call this "squeezing the slack out of the bar") and then push your feet straight down into the floor.

Two more things: Lift your chest more at the top to finish the rep, and lose the belt for now. It may very will be what's hindering you getting squoze® up properly.

Thanks a lot Steve, I have a deadlift without belt, is my spine in extension here?

Also, I am aware of the setup steps one should follow when deadlifting but when should I breath? Right before setting the spine or when my hips are up and I have grabbed the bar?

IT's better, that's certain. The question I have is related to that little hump / angle change in the lower back - you can see it quite clrealy in the first video, in your latest post it's mostly gone. This could just be muscle bunched up - I'd have to be there to tell.

On your second question, I like to breath before I squeeze my chest up, as I sometimes lose a little extension in my back when I extend my back first then breath. Some people like doing it the other way (usually beginners, since some people work on squeezing up for a while before pulling).

That's my hip bone I think and the fat covering it.
    Would a different angle help? I am thinking higher camera and 3/4 from back.

If it is, then you have a real tall pelvis, Elvis. I like the DL without the belt better.

Perhaps. Or you could just use your belt on the squats. Also, you may want to try a thinner belt. I use a 4" nylon belt for DLs, and a 4" leather belt for squats / presses.

Thanks Steve, can I show you my squat too?
    Wanna make sure that the belt works fine for it.

starting strength coach development program
    Post it in a new thread. It may or may not be me who looks at it - one of the other staff members may, but someone will.