starting strength gym

Thread: Highland Games

Default Highland Games

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Next month will be my first attempt at a Highland Games competition. Does anyone have any general programming advice to prepare?

My terribly interesting log is here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=37495

But in short:
    Lifting for almost 2 years.
    Age - 41
    Height - 5' 11"
    Weight - 230#

Current 5RM on Karl Schudt's 5/1
    Squat: 315
    DL: 315
    Bench: 205
    Press: 155
    PC: Suspended due to poor rack

Events link: http://milwaukeescottishfest.com/events.html

I am talking to Juli, but thought I'd ask the group.

The entire time I was reading your post I was thinking "He should get in touch with Juli," and then saw the last line. I don't have any personal experience with the Highland Games, other than thinking they're really freakin' cool. Perhaps one of the other coaches does...?

Funny, I've been toying with the idea of the Highland Games for a while.

Hurling is actually a German name and all, but I figure with all that tossing about going on well . . . hurling some damn thing just seems like a natural evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by clembeeblebrox View Post
    Next month will be my first attempt at a Highland Games competition. Does anyone have any general programming advice to prepare?

My terribly interesting log is here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=37495

But in short:
    Lifting for almost 2 years.
    Age - 41
    Height - 5' 11"
    Weight - 230#

Current 5RM on Karl Schudt's 5/1
    Squat: 315
    DL: 315
    Bench: 205
    Press: 155
    PC: Suspended due to poor rack

Events link: http://milwaukeescottishfest.com/events.html

I am talking to Juli, but thought I'd ask the group.
    If you can't rack a PC, substitute high pulls--lots of HG guys prefer them. A fast movement is very important for WOB & caber.

Practice throwing 2x a week if possible. You can recover from more throws using the LWFD and light hammer versus the heavy.

Have fun. I started at your age & the masters guys are very cool(and 42 is much easier than 56). They'll be very helpful when you're at the games.

Matt Vincent has an evil out for the Highland games called training lab. you could probably just use 531 and then program in events training but I think the book is worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Matt Vincent has an evil out for the Highland games called training lab.
    I think he means e-book.

Thanks for the high pull idea. I wasn't familiar with that lift so I did some searching and found this T-Nation article.

The coach in this video makes some solid points and uses some very convincing music, but the T-Nation article may be more my style.

Is this programmed as a 3x5/5x3, or would I use lower weights and higher reps? I'm assuming I should stick with 5x3 for power, but I also won't be dropping the weights and may have to go a bit lighter.
    Last edited by Clay Simczyk; 05-08-2013 at 04:53 AM.

I would try to find some guys in your area who throw and practice with them. They are usually very helpful as far as training the throws and giving you advice about how to set up your lifting. I would also look into Matt Vincent's books.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the help everyone. I will be throwing with Juli over the next couple weeks. I also have a copy of Throwing Lab by Matt Vincent.