starting strength gym

Thread: Coaching warm-up sets

Default Coaching warm-up sets

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Out of curiosity, how are warm-up sets at SS gyms handled? Fully coached or left to the individual (which I guess depends on skill level)?

Been holding small group sessions (max 4 people) for about a year, and some clients now want to do their own warm-up without having to be coached.

For the purpose of structure and making sure that the session functions as a whole, I have so far been coaching every rep including warm-ups.

Thank you

Clients who are worthy of training can be taught to manage their own warmups. Your job is to teach them, and them keep an eye on them while they warm up. Coaching every rep of every set is pointless if you have done your job correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Clients who are worthy of training can be taught to manage their own warmups. Your job is to teach them, and them keep an eye on them while they warm up. Coaching every rep of every set is pointless if you have done your job correctly.
    Thanks Rip. Very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In which case the adage "You are not a good coach unless you make someone else better than you" holds true?

Newer lifters have to be managed a little more closely. We have a couple groups that have someone who first touched a barbell 2 weeks ago, so I'll help them with their jumps and most or all of their warmups. That being said, anyone who's been training for some time (especially 1 year plus) can handle their own warmups. If you've been coaching them the whole time, you guys should both know what you're working to fix. People who are new to training will constantly ask you what they should warmup with, so teach them how to do it on their own. Teach them how to pick their warmups, how to manage them in a timely fashion, and make sure they're taking them seriously.

Coach the work sets and keep a close eye on the last warmup sets. If you have 4-6 people in the gym, you're just not gonna catch every single rep without making everyone wait on each other. Make sure the important sets are coached.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Newer lifters have to be managed a little more closely. We have a couple groups that have someone who first touched a barbell 2 weeks ago, so I'll help them with their jumps and most or all of their warmups. That being said, anyone who's been training for some time (especially 1 year plus) can handle their own warmups. If you've been coaching them the whole time, you guys should both know what you're working to fix. People who are new to training will constantly ask you what they should warmup with, so teach them how to do it on their own. Teach them how to pick their warmups, how to manage them in a timely fashion, and make sure they're taking them seriously.

Coach the work sets and keep a close eye on the last warmup sets. If you have 4-6 people in the gym, you're just not gonna catch every single rep without making everyone wait on each other. Make sure the important sets are coached.
    Thank you Alex.

From your experience, what is the maximum amount of clients a coach can handle in a session before the quality of coaching starts dropping?

I currently have maximum four people but could squeeze in a fith one. In the future I'd like to get a bigger space with more clients at a time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by s.oliver View Post
    Thank you Alex.

From your experience, what is the maximum amount of clients a coach can handle in a session before the quality of coaching starts dropping?

I currently have maximum four people but could squeeze in a fith one. In the future I'd like to get a bigger space with more clients at a time.
    6 is the maximum for one coach in my experience.