starting strength gym

Thread: How to coach a friend

Default How to coach a friend

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been lifting for about 13 years now. Being a dumbass more years than not trying all kinds of other stuff, mostly 5/3/1. I started using starting strength several years ago and have made more improvements that ever before. I am 51. That said, I have a friend that is 56. Big fella at about 6' 300+lbs very little muscle. He's been working on loosing weight and getting to the point to where he can train with me. He feels he needs to strengthen himself before he feels comfortable using the bar. I respect that. he's been at it for 6 months or so. When he's ready I will likely coach him in the beginning in my home gym and then he can do his own thing. I'm NOT a coach nor do I desire to be, but to help someone get on the path of getting stronger to be harder to kill and more useful in general I'm all for that.

We do not have a SS gym or coach anywhere near us in East Central MS.
    So My question is this. How do you determine where he should start on the NLP? Just start at the bar? Surely the bar is way less than he can lift at such a large size. (I say large size because I am only 5'6' at 180lbs LOL) Or is it just start slow to learn the movement pattern correctly?

I want to set him up for success with the desire to improve and not make it seem like it's not doing anything.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
    He feels he needs to strengthen himself before he feels comfortable using the bar.
    First, how does he plan on doing this, and why would you encourage it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    First, how does he plan on doing this, and why would you encourage it?
    He's doing things such as Planks, pushups and other BW movements. I know this isn't going to get him anywhere.
    I'm not encouraging him to do those things, that's all him. I've suggested just begin Starting Strength, however you know as well as I do, you can't make anyone do a damn thing until they are ready.
    He keeps talking about starting to train with me and I believe he will at some point. I simply want to be able to help him. He knows about SS books. He knows what I do. I have no desire to be a coach but I enjoy helping people get strong and always starting with NLP. I wish I would have discovered SS years ago and I would be a hell of a lot stronger than I am today.