starting strength gym
Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: K.Diesel's powerlifting and other training - 2009 and beyond

Default Mon. 7/6, last heavy deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Weighed 199.5, waist is up to 33.5 (after drinking something). Probably a real 195 in the morning. This ties the biggest my waist has been in the past 3 years, which I translate as the highest my BF% has been. This is also the heaviest sustained weight I've been at with my current workload, so I'll take it. Abs are still visible unflexed - we're good for the beach in 14 days!

1. Deadlift - sumo
    140/6; 230/4; 290/2; started alternating grip: 340/2; added belt: 390/1
    440/1
    480/1
    515/1 - this matches my best ever sumo, from Oct. '08. This didn't feel like a max effort this time. Video shows that the bar swayed front/back as I locked out. I'm pretty sure you don't get red lighted for that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'll post the video at the end of the week along with the squat and bench highlight.

After a looong rest trying to help someone who asked me for advice and thought he was getting his carbs from his protein (yes, that's what he said)...

2a. Pull-thrus - cable w/rope attachment
    130/15, 15, 15

2b. Standing crunch - cable/rope
    130/30, 20, 21

Feeling good about deadlifts right now. I think I basically hit my opener and 2nd attempt tonight. Will do some singles at 425 or so next Monday, along with some abs.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    After a looong rest trying to help someone who asked me for advice and thought he was getting his carbs from his protein (yes, that's what he said)...
    Haha. Isn't it the case that in the complete absence of carbs your body can use protein for quick-energy fuel, filling the role that carbs would? Perhaps that was what he was getting at. In any case, that has to be way sub-optimal. Obviously just eat the carbs!

I don't blame you for trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he meant carbs were substances contained in protein. I gave him a basic explanation of macronutrients and he was ok from there. Hey, we all have to learn from somewhere, some I'm not upset about his lack of knowledge. But it was one of the more vivid examples I've encountered of how little many, if not most gym-goers are about nutrition.

And yes sir, you're right about protein being a fall-back source of energy in a pinch. It is indeed a sub-optimal situation to be in.

Default Tue. 7/7 last heavy bench

1. Bench press
    bar/20; 100/6; 140/5; 180/4; 200/3
    220/1; 240/1; 260/1
    280/1 - This was not a smooth rep, starting with a poor descent and a few sticking points going up. I only planned to do this once today, but I really wanted to reinforce better mechanics with heavy weight, so I waited 5 minutes, then...
    280/1 - SMOKED IT!
    315/10 second lockout. I made NO attempt to move this weight, just held it at full lockout and squeezed the bar to prime CNS for a max lift soon.

2a. Chins
    BW/10 wide, 10 under, 10 neutral

2b. Dips
    BW/15, 15, 11 (stopped 1 short of failure)

3. Seated row
    150/13

If I keep my weight up, I should be good for 286 at the meet. I may have 292 in the tank, but I'd rather nail the 286 PR than miss 292. I just hate having to think so much during the bench. Drive legs, push back, squeeze bar, try to bend it, etc. and invariably I forget one or more during the reps when I need all those factors activated the most. I need to do more visualization of the perfect rep, then do it on the platform.

Default Thu. 7/9 last heavy squat

I had a much more productive squat workout on Thursday. It was the only exercise I did, and I got it done before the start of my shift at the gym (I work there part time as a trainer and fitness instructor). My kind of day.

Squat
    bar/8; 140/5; 230/3
    added wrist wraps - 275/1; 305/1
    added belt - 335/1
    added knee sleeve - 365/1; 395/1; 425/1
    walkout and hold, no squat - 455/10 seconds

That 455 felt HEAVY! That was the first time in about 8 months that I've had over 450 on my back, and I'm glad I got to feel it again now instead of waiting for the platform. The 425 was heavy but pretty fast and clearly sub-maximal. I'll do a post before the meet to outline what my probable attempts will be.

Edit: Sometime during this workout, I strained my back, somewhere in the rhomboid (I think) on the right. Was hurting all night, and during the day Friday. I was taking pain relievers and muscle relaxers since I had to work Friday and Saturday, and had decided I wouldn't deadlift Sun or Mon. Here it is Sun afternoon, and I haven't felt any pain for around 24 hours. If I don't feel any other hint of pain by the time I finish mailman GPP tomorrow, I may do them anyway. I only planned to work up to around 425 for a few triples. I would like to do them, so I can work on my sumo form just a bit more. We'll see...

K. Diesel,

How do the wrist wraps fit into your squat routine? I'm just curious if you add them because you've had wrist pain in the past or if there's some other reason. And do you squat with straight wrists or bent? Does that affect how the wraps are used?

Thank you,

Tor

Tor,

I haven't had problems with wrist pain. They're used to help stabilize my wrists and support the bar. I usually pull them out around 60% 1RM and heavier. My wrists are mostly straight. Keeping my wrists tight helps the heavier I go, because the heavier the weight, the more I try to press the bar off my shoulders on the ascent. Of course, that never happens, but it does help the bar feel lighter, which allows me to move more weight.

Default Mon. 7/13 Last deadlift before meet

My back felt pretty good, so I decided to go ahead and feel a little better about sumo pulls.

1. Deadlift
    140/5; 225/1, 1, 1 (15-30 sec between ea.); 275/1, 1
    started alt. grip - 325/1, 1
    added belt - 375/1, 1
    425/1, 1, 1 - 1 or 2 min. rest between pulls. Should have taken longer between 2 and 3, because the 3rd felt harder than I thought it should have and I was a little light-headed after #2.

2. GHR - on adjusted back extension
    BW/16

3. Straight leg raises
    12 propped elbows at dip station; 8 hanging from chin bar, bring feet from floor to bar. I really wished I had someone tape these. I didn't plan to do the 2nd set like that, but someone had hopped into the dip station by the time I was ready to go.

Default Tue. 7/14 bench

Forgot to post this yesterday, but my bodyweight on the gym scale post-workout was 195 in underwear and socks. Not bad. If I can just hold it through Saturday, then I'll be fine. 5 days of buffets, pizza and funnel cake might actually put me over the limit, so I think I'll take my scale with me to keep a close eye on it.

1. Bench
    bar/10; 100/5; 145/5; 185/3
    added wrist wraps - 225/2
    added belt - 245/1; 265/1, 1 - This is my planned opener at the meet next Saturday (120 kg). Had my spotter give me the commands. I did that same stupid thing on the press command, pushing the bar up and towards my feet instead of towards the rack. Went up ok, but I felt myself do it and wanted to reinforce better technique, so I did it a second time and almost threw it on the rack. Feeling pretty confident that I won't bomb out, but I will be VERY disappointed if I don't get that elusive 130kg with at least 2 white lights.

315/15 second hold at lockout

2. Chins - underhand
    BW/8; drop set: +90/4, +45/6 + BW/6

3. Pressdowns - short/straight bar
    drop set: 150/12 + 120/9 + 90/7 (didn't lock all of these out)
    150/5 second hold + slow negative

This week's sessions have been short. 30-45 minutes each so far.

Default Thu. 7/16 squat

starting strength coach development program
    This was a deload session after last week's single of 425. Basically the minimum workload from Mr. Prilipen.

1. Squat
    bar/10; 140/5; 230/3
    add wrist wraps - 280/2
    add knee sleeves - 325/2
    add belt - 355/2, (tightened sleeves) 2, 2, 2, 2
    After about 10 minutes... 460/15 second walkout.

That was it. Off to the Ocean in a few days. One "tune-up" session with low intensity/low volume on Tuesday. Next post will have my likely attempt progression.

Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast