starting strength gym
Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: K.Diesel's powerlifting and other training - 2009 and beyond

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    190 lbs eh? They obviously haven't got him on GOMAD and squats down there then. He was 215 this summer.

Default Fri. 10/8, Equipped deadlift

At the beginning of the week, I planned on making this a raw lifting day. However, a PL buddy who is a self-professed gear whore insisted that I could use my HardCore for deadlifts by wearing it backwards. I've heard of people doing that before, but hadn't thought about it anytime recently. So I decided to try it tonight, in case I'm going to order a new suit for DL.

1. Deadlift - all reps done from a dead stop. Stood up straight to reset on some.

raw: 135/6; 225/5; 315/3
    add erector shirt: 375/1
    add backwards suit, straps down: 425/2
    add belt: 425/2; 465/2
    straps up: 505/1, 1

This was all I had time for, as I got to the gym much later than I planned. I count it as an extremely helpful and productive session for the following reasons:

* I learned that my friend may be right. Wearing the suit backwards was a very different experience from wearing it normally like I did last week. I definitely got good pop off the floor, but...

* I realized that I need to learn to "beat the suit", kind of like I need to learn to "beat the shirt" for benching. Meaning that the weight has slows down or sticks at the point where the gear stops helping, and I have to accelerate through it or risk losing the lift. This will just take practice. Besides that...

* Due to oxygen deprivation, I found that I probably won't be able to use the erector shirt with this suit. No real loss, because it barely cost anything, but I could hardly breathe once the straps went up for the 505 singles. By comparison, I used it with a HardCore last year and deadlifted 568 lbs at a mock meet last December. But that HardCore was a size 35. This one is a 32.

When I say I couldn't breathe, I mean I tried it 2 ways, and neither worked. The first set, I did what I normally do: grab the bar, get in position, then take a big breath, hold and pull. Well, the breath I took wasn't so big. Several attempts at a deep breath failed, so I just did what I could and pulled it. The second set, I tried something new: I got my feet set, took a pretty deep breath while standing upright, then grabbed the bar, got in position and pulled. I'm not used to holding my breath that long, and I don't think I want to get used to it. I felt like my head would explode when I started the lift. When it was over, I had a terrible tingling feeling all over my face. Didn't like that too much. I'll try it without the shirt next time. If I still can't breathe, I know it's the suit.

I'm going to try to get to the gym after work tomorrow, because I didn't get to do the upper back/tricep work I had in mind for this session. They close at 7 on Saturdays, so time limitations may dictate that it's weighted chins/dips for as many sets as I can fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    190 lbs eh? They obviously haven't got him on GOMAD and squats down there then. He was 215 this summer.
    Geez, a 25 lb loss over the summer? Reminds me of when I started delivering mail. LOL Can't imagine they would have wanted him to drop that kind of weight. Uncle might have to be an online strength/conditioning coach.

maybe I should start delivering mail!

Well, it's probably a typo or mixup. His father told me he was 98kg (216 lbs) just a few days ago.

Nice deadlifting. I find it very hard to deadlift in a suit and probably won't, at least not in my next meet.

Default Sun. 10/10, Assistance work

Managed to sneak a few minutes in the gym on Saturday after work. As I guessed, only managed to do chins and dips. Alternated between the two, and did around 5 sets each. Dips went up to 100 lbs x 5, chins went up to 50 lbs x 6.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJavs View Post
    maybe I should start delivering mail!
    I like you too much to wish that one on you bro.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Well, it's probably a typo or mixup. His father told me he was 98kg (216 lbs) just a few days ago.

Nice deadlifting. I find it very hard to deadlift in a suit and probably won't, at least not in my next meet.
    Deadlifting in a suit is more awkward to squatting in one. 9-10 out of 10 lifters will get less help from the DL suit than squat or bench gear, so you're probably not missing much. I know a SHW lifter who's a Titan distributor, and he always DL's raw. At his size, it's too much hassle and not enough pay off.
    Last edited by K.Diesel; 10-11-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Default Mon. 10/11, Equipped squat and video

Here's last week's highlight video. Thanks for watching!

1. Squat - left my neoprene sleeves at home, so I used the Inzer sleeves until the last set
    bar/6; 135/5; 235/3; 285/2; 335/2; 365/1; 395/1
    add belt: 420/3
    add HardCore suit, straps down: 450/1; 480/1
    wrap knees: 510/1

That 510 was harder than the 500 from 9/27 when I didn't wrap my knees. Could be for a variety of reasons, but I was never in doubt of making the 510, so I'm not too worried. This was all I had time for, because my daughter was with me, and childcare was closing 10 minutes after that last set. Since I know I won't be working late tomorrow, I may do the assistance work I had planned tomorrow. Might be too much if I try to wait until Wednesday.

Default Wed. 10/13, Equipped bench

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    This was all I had time for, because my daughter was with me, and childcare was closing 10 minutes after that last set. Since I know I won't be working late tomorrow, I may do the assistance work I had planned tomorrow. Might be too much if I try to wait until Wednesday.
    Well, that visit to the gym never happened. Didn't get a chance to do it tonight either. Oh well, at least I got to the bread and butter...

1. Bench press - shirt is a Titan Fury. All books are now 1.75" thick.
    raw: bar/15; 135/5, 3; 185/3; 225/3; 245/1; 265/2; 280/1

shirt: 280/1 - kept the slippers on to get the shirt further up my arms. Not even sure it touched.
    300/1; 310/1 - best single I've done in the shirt this cycle
    1 book: 315/0 - pushed this toward my feet, still almost locked it out.
    2 books: 315/1 - went for a 2nd rep, hit the rack, and aborted

2. Chins - left dip/chin belt at home, so I held a dumbbell between my ankles. Alternated grip on each set, so this is a summary of what I did, not the order I did them in.

wide grip: BW/7; 50/6; drop set: 50/6 + BW/4.5
    underhand: BW/6; 50/7
    neutral: 50/6

Default Fri. 10/15, Raw deadlift

This was supposed to be an equipped deadlift day, but time wasn't on my side tonight. I didn't want to spend 10-15 valuable minutes with the gym getting in the suit. Worked out for the best...

1. OHP - no leg drive
    bar/15; 85/8; 125/5; 145/5; 165/5, 3, 3, 3, 4

2. Deadlift
    135/6; 225/4; 315/3; 405/2
    add belt: 475/1; 510/1 x 4 sets - 1 was great, 2 was harder, 3 was worst, 4 was better than 3. Rest periods were fairly short. Got them all though.

3. Dips
    BW/15; 45/5; 90/3; 135/5 - ties 5-rep PR

I think I've found my DL opener for the raw meet on 11/20. Likely to be 507 or 513.

Great deadlifts, K. Nice!

starting strength coach development program
    yo brother, any tips on making the switch to sumo?

Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast