starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergeant's Olympic Weightlifting Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant_81 View Post
    August 1 is the date. It's the Connecticut Open Weightlifting Championships. At this point I have no idea what my planned lifts will be - coach doesn't have me going very heavy yet - and I'm not sure what the planned bodyweight is, either. As of today I'm 92 kg/203 pounds, which puts me at the upper end of the 94 kg weight class. I checked some of the results from last year's meet and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be competitive in this weight class the first time out Coach has stated he wants to "lean me out" a good deal, so he might have me shooting for the 85 kg class. That's about a 20 pound/9 kg bodyweight reduction for me, and I'm quite honestly not sure how I feel about that.

The facility is a Crossfit gym that the coach is operating out of. It's pretty small, but well-equipped. There are 4 platforms available to one side, each with squat stands. The equipment is a mix of Werksan and Eleiko bars and plates. Overall a great little place, and I can watch the Crossfit women do their thing while I'm setting up for a lift (note: hot blonde Crossfit chick bending over in tight spandex shorts right in front of you = badly missed lift).

Hbriem - thanks!

As far as the kilogram measurements - as much as I'm a standard-issue, gun-loving, right-wing, red-blooded American, I do believe the metric system is superior to the U.S. imperial. I do wonder about the psychological impact - does 100 kg feel as heavy as its equivalent, 220 pounds (given that this is not a very heavy weight anyway)? It sure as hell doesn't seem so. I think it's the "100" versus "220" playing tricks with my head.

C&J work this evening -
    Just wondering out of random curiosity, do you pay per session or since you are competing with this coach is it reduced or whatever? I honestly don't know why I'm asking about the financial details but I'm hella jealous that you have a sick coach and a great facility. Delaware still sucks, I wish i was home for the summer, then I could olympic lift all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Santisua View Post
    Just wondering out of random curiosity, do you pay per session or since you are competing with this coach is it reduced or whatever? I honestly don't know why I'm asking about the financial details but I'm hella jealous that you have a sick coach and a great facility. Delaware still sucks, I wish i was home for the summer, then I could olympic lift all the time
    Hi Santisusa,

I detailed the costs at http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...t=17530&page=3

Short of it is, $125 a month, a tad expensive - and I haven't bought a singlet or other equipment yet, either

haha sorry, I completely forgot about that thread! Thanks man, I hope your lifts are doing well. I had 3 sessions with an oly coach before I came back to school for the summer(doing research) but I can't practice the lifts, so it sucks a lot..the bumpers are terrible and the platform sucks and the bar is a standard really crappy barbell that is not to be dropped.

Very simple C&J session.

C&J, working up to a set of 3 at 70 kg.

Clean pulls to the knee, 4 sets of 4 at 100 kg.

High-bar, ATG squats, up to 100 kg for a set of 3 followed by a back-off set of 70 kg for 3.

Back extensions, 3x10.

sorry for the delayed reply, sounds pretty nice where you train. It's probably a good price for what you get.

All right, snatches, snatches, snatches! Come on in snatch lovers! Here at the gym we're slashing snatches in half! Give us an offer on our vast selection of snatches, this is a snatch blow out! All right, we got white snatches, black snatches, Spanish snatches, yellow snatches, we got hot snaches, cold snatches, we got wet snatches, we got smelly snatches, we got hairy snatches, bloody snatches, we got snappin' snatches, we got silk snatches, velvet snatches, Naugahyde snatches, we even got horse snatches, dog snatches, chicken snatches! Come on, you want snatches, come on in, snatch lovers! If we don't got it, you don't want it! Come on in, snatch lovers!

Ahem...

Seriously, lots of freakin' snatches tonight. Worked up to 55 kg for a single, backed off, then just snatched 40 kg for technique work for a good hour and a half. Good stuff.

Huh. Looks like my posts for the last several workouts were wiped out during the server upgrade(s). Overall, things are going well - starting to work up a little heavier now. Two weeks out from competition.

Will post tonight's workout later on, which I believe is similar to what I've been doing over the past week and a half.

Power clean and front squat, 20x3, 40x3, 50x3, 60x3

Snatch, 20x3, 40x3, 50x2x2 (one missed)

Snatch pull to knee, 50x3, 60x3, 65x3x3

Snatch pull, 50x3, 60x3, 65x3x3

Front squat, 50x3, 60x3, 70x3, 80x2x2

Push-ups, 3x15

Power clean & front squat, 40x3, 50x3, 60x3x2

Clean-and-jerk, working for a PR: 40x3, 50x3, 60x3, 70x2, 75x1, 80x1 (PR)

Clean pull to knees: 50x3, 60x3, 70x3, 80x3, 90x3

Squat: 50x3, 60x3, 70x3, 80x3, 90x3, 100x3

Push-ups: 3x15

starting strength coach development program
    Tough session tonight. Feeling a bit stressed and tired, and couldn't relax - an essential requirement for properly performing the lifts.

Power snatch/overhead squat, working up to 3 sets of 3 at 40 kg

Full snatch, working up to a 55 kg single (PR). Tried for 60 kg twice but just couldn't get it. Any other night, I probably had it in me.

Snatch pulls to knee, working up to 80 kg for 3.

Snatch pulls, working up to 80 kg for 3.

Front squats, working up to a PR single of 90 kg.

Back extensions, 3x10.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast