starting strength gym
Page 101 of 355 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3545

Thread: KONG's Training and Self-rehab

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by jenica View Post
    Your % makes me realize how over-zealous I was on deficit pulls last night. Lesson learned.

Sorry your knees are not feeling good. Hopefully they'll calm down quickly.

I'm glad next week is deload week. It always comes at the perfect time. Doesn't it?

545 from a 3" deficit? That's some strong pulling. Congrats on your meet performance, 430 paused bench is sick.

I see you pulled the 545 @ 3" with a hook grip. Has using the hook grip for deads ever given you any problems? I have some nasty bruising under one of my thumbnails from it.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    545 from a 3" deficit? That's some strong pulling. Congrats on your meet performance, 430 paused bench is sick.

I see you pulled the 545 @ 3" with a hook grip. Has using the hook grip for deads ever given you any problems? I have some nasty bruising under one of my thumbnails from it.
    Thanks, I was pretty happy with that pull especially with a hook which I've only been doing now for two weeks. As for bench, I think has my programming right on the money there. Ever since I've joined team Reynolds my bench has been on a steady rise without any major setbacks due to elbow or shoulder injuries. The intensity is there with a good amount of volume to spur more adaptations (read gainz). Plus, mixing up the movements with bands, chains, bars allows everything to stay somewhat fresh over time. I'm happy with that too.

I experimented with the hook last year and it did give me problems after overusing it. Every now and then, its smart to give the thumbs a break. Either use some straps or go alternating grip. If you are constantly bashing the thumbs and never give them time to adapt, they won't thrive. They'll just get destroyed.

I like the hook. I plan on using it but I'm going to be smart this time. It doesn't happen overnight.

The main reason I want to go with the hook is because my gym's bar knurling is CURAAZY. I can DOH a ton of weight on it because the bar just does not slip. The problem is when I go to meets and the bar is not that aggressive on the knurl. Then it slips and then it sucks. With a hook, ain't gonna happen.

Default Last ME before deload

Squat warmups.. up to 235...form seems clean but I still am not over the midfoot at the top--I think its because its light. I think at heavier weights the COM will go where its supposed to go..which is with the bar over midfoot. I keep forgetting that I'm a 270 lber. I'm going to stop obsessing about it and just squat. I like the practice and the lack of soreness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGRK4Q8I8o

Push Press: up to 250X1, 260X0...well that sucked, dropped to 210X6 @8, 210X5 @9 (on the way up to 250, I did a stupid which made my left shoulder hurt)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s59pYJcCKNU

DB Bench: 90X4 @7, 90X4 @7, 90X11 @8...broke the rules and went higher rep which felt better on the left shoulder

GPP: {BTN press, Cable Row, Roman Chair, Sledgehammer}X 4 rounds

Conditioning: Ropes 7 mins

So I did a stupid on push presses. I had done 65, 115, 185, 205, and 225 as warmups. I then wanted to try 250. So I put on my dunce cap and changed only one side. This made it 235 but unevenly. I went to push press it and it locked out unevenly as one would expect but it put extra strain on my left side (the one that bothered me all through the end of last year). I felt so stupid for doing that to myself. Anyway, I moved on to 250 which felt weird but moved really well...but I just got distracted with the shoulder on 260 and couldn't push through. So instead of benching 3X4 @8-9, I just went with a weight that I knew I could rep and did a rep out set on the last set. This made my shoulder feel better and I know this litle mishap will not set me back. If I had gone for the 150's like I planned to, I definitely would have hurt something.

Went full gamut today because I had time and killed the GPP and conditioning. Sledgehammers are fun : )
    Last edited by Dwayne_KONG_Wint; 08-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.

How heavy is your sledgehammer? I accidentally bought a 16 lb when I was suppose to get 12. Only did it once and it was HARD...I'm thinking about trying to exchange it.

And, awesome deficit pulling!

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    How heavy is your sledgehammer? I accidentally bought a 16 lb when I was suppose to get 12. Only did it once and it was HARD...I'm thinking about trying to exchange it.

I have no idea how heavy it is. I was just in the corner near the tire and I went to business. It didn't feel heavy at all. I guess that's because I was doing it after some heavy presses.

Is there any method to sledgehammer swings? I mean reps right arm reps left arm, middle,side swings etc. been thinking of doing them and tire flips (well in my case it would be tractor dual flips). I thng I would enjoy some of the strongman type stuff. Just need to figure out where to put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post

I use a 16 and swing pretty quick, so you definitely can. Sounds like you just need to get used to the movement. Or something, 'cause you don't want to get beat by a girl

Quote Originally Posted by Rherington View Post
    Is there any method to sledgehammer swings? I mean reps right arm reps left arm, middle,side swings etc. been thinking of doing them and tire flips (well in my case it would be tractor dual flips). I thng I would enjoy some of the strongman type stuff. Just need to figure out where to put them in.
    My tire was flat on the floor so I just came down on top of it with the sledgehammer. So I kinda had a big arc going. For me it felt like I was taking a shot with a long pole lacrosse stick. You kinda just accelerate through the whole thing like you want to bust a hole in the tire.

You could also do 'em like this. I found this on Strong gym's youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ErwhzabfgU

I do 10 with the right arm and then 10 with the left.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    My tire was flat on the floor so I just came down on top of it with the sledgehammer. So I kinda had a big arc going. For me it felt like I was taking a shot with a long pole lacrosse stick. You kinda just accelerate through the whole thing like you want to bust a hole in the tire.

You could also do 'em like this. I found this on Strong gym's youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ErwhzabfgU

I do 10 with the right arm and then 10 with the left.
    When we did them - I would also strike with the side of the hammer, instead of the head - so it would deadblow and not bounce all over the place.