• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yay indeed!

Default Thursday, 07/19/12 - Heavy Bench and Press

Devastated at how much I suck.

Bench
    45x20, 135x8, 185x5, 225x2 (last paused), 255x1, 295x0, 295x0, 275x1
    I just don't get it. Maybe it's psychological. I really don't have any answers. I benched 5 singles across at 290 on 5/31/12. That was week 6. This is week 12. My original plan was to bench 305 today. Things started going downhill after week 6. Today's planned 1RM attempt went from 305 to 300 as I started struggling. After last week's performance, I lowered today's 300 to 295. It was worse than I thought.

Press
    135x3, 155x1, 180x2
    Wendler equivalent of 192. This is the weakest performance of all 12 weeks.

...and now I'm also fat.

I don't know where to post this, but it made me laugh, I needed a good laugh, and I want to share. So let's just brighten up this lame log a bit:

Last edited by sking1001; 07-19-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: whatever

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Devastated at how much I suck.
    There are better things to be devastated about. This one is easily solved.

I just don't get it. Maybe it's psychological. I really don't have any answers. I benched 5 singles across at 290 on 5/31/12. That was week 6. This is week 12. My original plan was to bench 305 today. Things started going downhill after week 6. Today's planned 1RM attempt went from 305 to 300 as I started struggling. After last week's performance, I lowered today's 300 to 295. It was worse than I thought.
    We all respond differently to different types of cycles. I have learned over the years that with the type of workouts I like to do, I can only last 9 weeks at most before I run into a wall (benching). Years ago it used to be 12 weeks and before that I could go 18 weeks before I saw it end. Thing is, we need to pay attention to that and realize about how long we go before progress ends. My partner likes 9-12 weeks before terminating the cycle.

The hardest thing for me to figure out though was how to keep one movement moving as another one peters out and dies. My squat and deads will go 18 weeks before I need to start thinking about termination. But as long as we keep a log, pay attention to little details this can all be figured out. Do not despair young grasshoppa, regroup and restart.

...and now I'm also fat.
    Uh......... SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the sound reasoning as always, Oldster :-) I will regroup and restart. I have some thinking to do this weekend to figure out how I'm going to start on Monday.

Not sure I get the squirrel reference...is that a reference to the distracted dog in Up? hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    ...is that a reference to the distracted dog in Up? hahaha
    YES!

I use that all the time when I can't think of something to say!

Oldster has a good point. You were probably peaked the day you did 290 for 5 singles. 300 might have gone for a single that day. I can only run about 6 week training cycles on bench.

Do you think the board work has been beneficial?

Maybe it's time to "cruise" a little more and not be so aggressive with the high intensity work? Especially if you're starting to get concerned about putting on too much weight and feeling out of shape. It's a real mental break sometimes to stop pushing for the 1RMs and just put in some solid work without worrying so much about the endgame. You'd be surprised at the progress you can make that way as well.

The program I've been running has been going great, never lifting above 85% of my max and I'm still setting PRs. I can give you the low down if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Oldster has a good point. You were probably peaked the day you did 290 for 5 singles. 300 might have gone for a single that day. I can only run about 6 week training cycles on bench.

Do you think the board work has been beneficial?
    Yeah, I'm going to look back and see if I see a pattern around the 6-week mark. As for the board work, absolutely, yes. Whatever I do next cycle, I'll definitely be including board work.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    Maybe it's time to "cruise" a little more and not be so aggressive with the high intensity work? Especially if you're starting to get concerned about putting on too much weight and feeling out of shape. It's a real mental break sometimes to stop pushing for the 1RMs and just put in some solid work without worrying so much about the endgame. You'd be surprised at the progress you can make that way as well.

The program I've been running has been going great, never lifting above 85% of my max and I'm still setting PRs. I can give you the low down if you're interested.
    Thanks, Adam. I'll take this into consideration as I consider a new start next week. I'm looking forward to it!
    I can't say how well tomorrow will go since I will be operating on less sleep...but it's for a good cause, haha! I've decided to go to the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises. I can't wait.

Also, to add a little Bobby Briks style to this log, I also watched Safe House tonight. I have to say, that movie has some of the best action scenes, and all around, it's one of the top movies I have seen lately.

starting strength coach development program
    Steve, sorry to hear about the day in the gym, I was looking forward to reading about the 295 success. Good advice above, so nothing to add other than...keep at it...

Interested to see how you work through this, i know you'll come out on the other side stronger, better, and laughing at 295.