starting strength gym
Page 339 of 479 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I stop by the gym at lunch to do my conditioning. It's harder for me, so I decide that I'm going to try the bike again instead of the elliptical.

I'm telling you, this is the hardest thing I have done in weeks. I don't know if if has to do with short legs, being a recumbent or whatever, but it only shows around 120 RPM or so when I get up to speed, and the first round I jammed the resistance to around 18 and nearly died.

The burning in my quads was incredible. I lowered the intensity a little each round, and by the time I got to the 7th, I was just trying to keep it at 100 RPM with the resistance around 11.

The urge to straighten my burning, BURNING legs out was irresistible. I kept trying to stand up on the pedals to relieve the pain. I could only do about 7 minutes of cool down right after the last 20 second sprint.

Huge quad pump. This of course makes me want to go back to the elliptical, but shouldn't I be doing this, since it is such a living hell? Makes me appreciate the prowler, even.

This is the exact bike:

I hate that one.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I hate that one.
    Glad I'm not the only one. My wife uses that one. She also has long legs.

There is an upright one right next to it. I did it once, but I don't think I could handle the crotch pain:

Crotch pain subsides over time. I trained for a century ride a few years back, and road bikes have MUCH less forgiving seats. After the first week, I could barely move, let alone walk. But I forced myself to get back on the bike. Buy yourself some bike pants with padded crotch to ease a bit more into it, but your insides will build "calluses" (for lack of a better word) in a relatively short amount of time. Upright is a better workout than recumbent, IMO, and worth the crotch pain at the beginning.

Part of me wishes I never sold my road bike. I like doing my conditioning outside, and running/sprinting just plain sucks.
    Last edited by joosejpr; 02-21-2014 at 11:17 AM.

I appreciate the tips Justin, but I'm not really trying to be a cycler, haha. Come to think of it, I've done my sprints on a bike outside before, and it was pretty hard too.

I'll probably give the upright a try when I condition again on Saturday, just to see.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I appreciate the tips Justin, but I'm not really trying to be a cycler, haha. Come to think of it, I've done my sprints on a bike outside before, and it was pretty hard too.

I'll probably give the upright a try when I condition again on Saturday, just to see.
    Oh, I know you're just using it for conditioning, I was just saying I think it is better for your goals than the recumbent, and I was reassuring you that the pain passes in time.

Quote Originally Posted by joosejpr View Post
    Oh, I know you're just using it for conditioning, I was just saying I think it is better for your goals than the recumbent, and I was reassuring you that the pain passes in time.
    Thanks man, def gonna try it Saturday.

Default Saturday, 02/22/14

Deload continues, 2x2 @85%

Squat
    135x5
    185x3 (or 4)
    225x4
    275x3
    315x2
    365x1
    410x2x2

Squats felt off today, shaky and shallow.

Accessory
    GHR 3x10
    KB Swings 3x12 w/32kg
    GHD Situps 3x12

Gonna go to the gym and try the upright bike for sprints today before I hit the hot tub/pool.

I still loathe the bike. Better than the recumbent at least. Did 7 sprints and died during cool down.

Default Sunday, 02/23/14

starting strength coach development program
    Last day of deload

Press
    95x8
    135x5
    165x2
    185x2x2

Pullups 3x8