starting strength gym
Page 409 of 479 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411419459 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    That sucks.

Squat was fast, Steve. Almost...like an opener or something.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Squat was fast, Steve. Almost...like an opener or something.
    Exactly what i was going say.

Looking good Steve!

Default Thursday, 11/13/14

Thank you very much, guys. I'm really looking forward to this meet. I think the length of it will be new to me, though. So far I've only competed in what were relatively small meets. This one will probably last more into the evening, so I will be deadlifting a lot later than I'm used to. Maybe that's a good thing...or maybe it will be harder.

Last session before the meet:

First, a pretty good deal of stretching and foam rolling, pushups...

Competition Bench Press
    135x8
    185x5
    225x3
    275x2
    300x1
    Opener will be slightly less than this at 135 kilos. Funny, because my meet PR is only 285 pounds. I'm hoping to hit 150 kilos on my 3rd. This was a little off today, because I had trouble unracking. A good hand-off will solve that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDA1hKxfC0

Then probably another 20 minutes of recovery/mobility type stuff.

Stretching, foam/LAX rolling
    Face Pulls, Single Arm Banded Rows
    Walking Lunges, Pushups, etc...

I just happened to sprain the middle finger of my right hand pretty good Tuesday evening. I fell on it while dumping a huge 24 ft pool liner. Pretty dumb. It's swollen, but it's getting better and no big deal. I don't think it will affect any of my lifts.

I'll be staying mobile...cuz I'm old.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Last edited by sking1001; 11-13-2014 at 02:32 PM.

I hope you get that 150 kilos brosef.

Good luck Sunday. I'll probably make it out there in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    I hope you get that 150 kilos brosef.
    Thanks brother....so how much ya' bench? bout one fiddy...

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
    Good luck Sunday. I'll probably make it out there in the afternoon.
    Thanks, Scott! I look forward to it.

11/16/14

NASA Masters & Sub-Masters Nationals (Dallas, TX)
    Weight Class: 198
    Division: Masters Pure (40+ years of age; Lifetime Anabolic Steroid Free)
    Bodyweight: 188.3
    Total: 605 kilos / 1334 lbs (8 for 9)

Attempts in kilos:
    Squat: 197.5/210/215
    Bench: 135/145/150x
    Deadlift: 225/237.5/245

Attempts in pounds:
    Squat: 435.41/462.97/473.99
    Bench: 297.62/319.67/330.69x
    Deadlift: 496.04/523.59/540.13

Squat notes:
    My intended (ideal) numbers were about 435/465/485. I think I probably played this one just right. I did get one red light on my 2nd attempt, and I could feel my knees coming in too much, so it was barely there. I sunk my 3rd a little deeper, descending more slowly too. My knees were a little wobbly on that one, but overall a good lift. I'm counting 474 as a 9 pound meet PR. I did 475 at the crossfit total with 3 meter wraps, but it was pretty high. My best before that was 465 at the SPF meet last year, with 3 meter wraps and a mono. My best squat at NASA in 2 meter wraps before that was my opener, 435.

Bench notes:
    Nothing but confidence and smoke on my first and second attempts. 150 kilos (330) would have been an all-time PR. I'm not sure if that got in my head or not, but I think I was pretty confident with the way 145 (320) went up. I probably got too far back too soon, and just couldn't get the right leverage. Yeah, I got a little pissed at first, but I didn't let it affect me. This meet was just going too well to let one miss get me down. Plus, 320 pounds is a 35 pound meet PR!

Deadlift notes:
    I was so stoked after my 3rd attempt. The only thing is, I actually ended up being too conservative. I really had to grind on 535 at the crossfit total less than 2 months ago, so I thought 540 would be a nice PR. I had no idea it would feel that easy. The thing is, I had lots of time to relax, eat, and get my mind right. I was feeling pretty stiff and tired after benching, like you do after a long workout. However, I was able to go out to my truck and practically take a nap. So by the time flight A deadlifts came around, I was still feeling a little run down, but not so much. As I was warming up, the pulls felt really good on my back...almost therapeutic. It was like pulling all the stiffness out. So I was starting to get really pumped to deadlift! Before my attempts, I just listened to some melow music, like I could nearly fall asleep. When I got to the platform, my form was just spot on. Everything clicked. This is the best experience I have ever had deadlifting. After that 3rd pull, I knew I could have pulled a 4th easily. I really think I had 555 plus in me that day.

Well this is the best meet I've ever had. I have so much to say, but I really want to thank Lester (Callador), and his training partner Steve for helping me out and teaching me a lot more about the meet process. Most of you know Les, and Steve has been powerlifting since the 80's. After I missed my 3rd bench, Steve and I discussed it, and that helped me even more to just let it go and get my head right. Steve has years of experience, so it was really nice talking with him. I'm also extremely grateful to Les' wife for taking all the video. She did an outstanding job!

This was just tons of fun. I think there were 5 flights for nearly every lift, and only one platform, although I prefer having just one platform. Like I said before, I've never done a meet that lasted this long, but in actuality, I think it was better for having time to eat and really relax. I would say that's the main thing I learned at this meet. How to relax between lifts and then really turn it on when it counts.

Also, this may seem obvious to most people, but I also learned to finish warming up before my flight even starts, during the preceding flight. I used to always rush to get my warmups in closer to my time on the platform, but now I realize that I don't have to worry about cooling down just within my flight. Thanks, Lester...

I had more or less an ideal total in my head of 1360, so I'm super happy to come in just 26 pounds shy of that. One of the goals of this meet was to have more fun and not stress so much about the numbers I wanted. I did just that and played it smart and mostly conservative. Yeah, I went a little too conservative on the deadlift, but there will be more meets and bigger numbers!

NASA has so many divisions, it seems like everyone gets first place. I don't know how many were competing in the 198 Masters Pure, but I got first place. Once they post the overall results, I'll let you know how I placed overall, coefficient-wise.

The important thing to me is that every lift was a meet PR, and my total was a 49 pound meet PR with shorter wraps and walking out squats. Also, I believe my back injury is a thing of the past now. My back has never felt better! I still get a little sciatic pain in the morning, but that's really no big deal.
    Last edited by sking1001; 11-17-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Awesome meet Steve. Love seeing everything come together on meet day. Especially love how far the bench has come, just because it was such a mindfuck for you for so long. Great work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Awesome meet Steve. Love seeing everything come together on meet day. Especially love how far the bench has come, just because it was such a mindfuck for you for so long. Great work.
    mindfuck...I could not have said it better myself, ha! So true. And thanks so very much, Bobby : )