starting strength gym
Page 431 of 479 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433441 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,310 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm in as much pain right now as I've ever been, but don't worry...I've seen this clear up quickly before.

Video's up on my channel. I put the last backoff set up too, b/c I tried to clean my form up. I was using straps on the 410 sets.

You're trying to do the slight rounding on purpose right? They aren't totally ugly and don't look that heavy honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    You're trying to do the slight rounding on purpose right? They aren't totally ugly and don't look that heavy honestly.
    Yeah that rounding is totally natural for me. Didn't feel too heavy either. If anything, I think on the second set I would sink my hips too low and shoot them up more. But yeah, these were descent form and nothing that I would think would be injury inducing.

Honestly it could be just that my back wasn't feeling so hot when I started, and this just put it over the top for some reason. I need to not fool myself and remember that I walk around in an injured state every day lol.

We'll see how it feels Tuesday for squirts...

Default Saturday, 04/18/15

Low back was hurting a little more than usual before going in Saturday morning. I should have listened...

Deadlift
    245x5
    335x5
    395x2 add belt
    440x5x2
    410x5x2 add straps

Didn't feel that heavy, but my back was actually hurting some during training, which it normally doesn't. Normally it just hurts through ever day life and feels fine during training. 2nd set was a little harder. Form might have slipped some during that set, but it was mostly just shooting my hips up and maybe not as tight. Nothing major. So after that set I was a little concerned about my back, but I just stretched it out and hit the backoffs with straps, tightening up my form.

Main sets:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojxxB1HXEJU

2nd backoff set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiLMxqjriY

Rack Pull
    355x8
    245x8x2

I started to pull 355 off the pins, but my back was saying no. But I put on my belt and it was okay. Then I thought, what the hell am I doing with my back hurting this much, and dropped to an easy 245 for the remaining sets.

Leg Press
    290x8x3 with very minimal rest.
    Taking it light from here on...

High Bar Squat
    135x5
    185x5
    185x5x2 added belt
    Did these ATG as usual.

Chins 3x8 really easy
    DB Curls 2x8 w/45's, 1x10 w/35's

Hot tub - longer than usual

-----------------------------------

I was in a lot of pain after getting home, so obviously I was quite concerned by this point. My thinking is that these things have cleared up in the past, but it's been miserable getting out of bed the last couple of days. Little things like bending over the sink while brushing my teeth are nearly impossible.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking I need to take a great deal of time to rehab this thing...if that's even possible. I'm torn though, because I have some good momentum going in this cycle, and I would like to finish it. I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull heavy again though. I think I might be able to squat heavy Tuesday, but I'm just not sure.

I've been walking around in an injured state for a very long time now. I haven't been able to take a walk with my wife or walk through the mall without being miserable after a few minutes. I've been telling myself it's okay, because it really doesn't bother me while training, and it should eventually get better. I just don't know anymore. It's so very frustrating. I just want to be normal again.

I'll try to get to the chiropractor today, but that never really helps. I need to make a decision. I'm thinking I might just finish this cycle however I can, and then start a long, long rehab.

life > training.

training < life

training eats life lol....maybe it's just time to get SHREDDED

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Little things like bending over the sink while brushing my teeth are nearly impossible.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking I need to take a great deal of time to rehab this thing...if that's even possible. I'm torn though, because I have some good momentum going in this cycle, and I would like to finish it.
    I've been walking around in an injured state for a very long time now.
    It's so very frustrating. I just want to be normal again.
    I'm thinking I might just finish this cycle however I can, and then start a long, long rehab.
    I've been pushing off addressing some issues for a few years now. I've finally started taking the time to fix what's broken (at least what can be fixed), and while frustrating, it's worth it. I can finally lean forward over the sink for more than 5 seconds without pain, and I'm not dying while playing volleyball.

It does suck from a short term perspective, yes. I got under 405 and squatted it for a double, and I was struggling. I maxed at 540 last month, and I was struggling with >100 lbs less.

That said, for the last few years I've been making good progress, and then coming to a halt. Then progress, then nothing. From a long term perspective, I think this will allow me greater progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I've been pushing off addressing some issues for a few years now. I've finally started taking the time to fix what's broken (at least what can be fixed), and while frustrating, it's worth it. I can finally lean forward over the sink for more than 5 seconds without pain, and I'm not dying while playing volleyball.

It does suck from a short term perspective, yes. I got under 405 and squatted it for a double, and I was struggling. I maxed at 540 last month, and I was struggling with >100 lbs less.

That said, for the last few years I've been making good progress, and then coming to a halt. Then progress, then nothing. From a long term perspective, I think this will allow me greater progress.
    Thanks for that perspective, Sean. That's actually pretty encouraging to know that such a strong lifter has been through the same thing. I guess it's extra frustrating, because I'm already 43. I wish I had started strength training a lot earlier. I'm not sure the exact path I will take, but I'm going to start some serious rehab at some point.

Maybe I'll see if squatting is still okay and just start rehabbing on deadlift days for now. I've heard about the Starr protocol...not sure if it applies to me, but it's something I'll look into. I'm definitely open to suggestions. My chiropractor pointed out this morning that time in the pool is extremely good for rehabbing just about anything. I'm lucky I have free gym access for that.

Anyway, still gonna bench 280 for at least one set of 5 tonight.

Take care of yourself. Training and keeping a log are poitive things until we lose sight of the long haul. It is easy to get caught up in a competetive nature. Being in your 40's doesnt help because you think you hear a clock ticking and it is easy to try to race that clock.
    We make the best progress when we are healthy and feel well( being able to go on long walks, stand for prolonged periods and participate in other hobbies is nice too).
    Despite what the current trend for ultra specific, drive the one rep max up and test it, mentallity, sometimes we may need to change things up, change frequency and drop intensity for perioods of time. If you fell on the ground today could you get up easily? We can get stronger without constantly having to demonstrate it. I want to be able to wade fish and stand for hours in moving water, surf, and flats into my 70-80's.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Take care of yourself. Training and keeping a log are poitive things until we lose sight of the long haul. It is easy to get caught up in a competetive nature. Being in your 40's doesnt help because you think you hear a clock ticking and it is easy to try to race that clock.
    We make the best progress when we are healthy and feel well( being able to go on long walks, stand for prolonged periods and participate in other hobbies is nice too).
    Despite what the current trend for ultra specific, drive the one rep max up and test it, mentallity, sometimes we may need to change things up, change frequency and drop intensity for perioods of time. If you fell on the ground today could you get up easily? We can get stronger without constantly having to demonstrate it. I want to be able to wade fish and stand for hours in moving water, surf, and flats into my 70-80's.
    Good points. Funny you mentioned standing for long periods of time. Obviously you get it...that's going to be one of my short term goals here : )

Rehab will start tonight. I just need to find a good protocol.