starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Injury rehab & 1st meet preperation, all in one.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd say 2-3 seconds should be long enough. Just looked back at the video, it was 12 seconds, not 45, but I swear it felt like forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post
    I'd say 2-3 seconds should be long enough. Just looked back at the video, it was 12 seconds, not 45, but I swear it felt like forever.
    I understand this very well. There have been times when I estimated my own pauses that I swore it was 2-3 seconds, when the video showed 1/2-1 second and other times when I thought it was a 1 second pause and it was really a touch-and-go where the bar stopped for an instant and shot straight back up. Now I have someone count the time and give me the press command because when I'm under weight I can't estimate anything, I just want it up.

Mock Meet- Final workout before the meet.

Squat -2pm
    45 x5
    135 x5
    225 x3
    275 x1
    300 x1
    325 x1

Bench -4pm
    135 x5
    185 x3
    210 x1
    225 -FAIL

Deadlift -6pm
    185 x5
    255 x3
    325 x1
    375 x1
    395 x1

This did not go as well as I had hoped. I wanted to do this on Friday or Saturday, but when I left for work Friday I didn't come home until Saturday morning. Gotta love a 24 hour work day. I had only eaten 3 times since waking up Friday, didn't eat before lifting today, and I felt it. I was wasted and weak. I wanted to keep the time between lifts down to around 1 hour, but family obligations pushed it to 2.

Squats were an ugly struggle. Warmups felt heavy and the actual meet reps were brutal.

Bench was where it really took it's toll. I ate between the squats and bench, but it didn't make a difference. Even lowering my opener to 210 was hard. 225 made it halfway up. I had my brother-in-law give me the commands with a long pause. It ended up being 3 seconds. If I get a judge that gives a faster up command I can probably get 225. But to be safe I'm going to drop my 2nd rep to 220. Sad because I made 240 with a short pause and 230 with a long pause recently, and they weren't hard.

Deadlift was the only one that went really well. The warmups felt like working sets because the fatigue and soreness set in while I sat around. But 375 and 395 went up nice and smoothly. No ramping, an good bar speed. These felt hard but looked fast on video.

Now to relax and just do some light stretching and de-load lifts during the week. 6 days and counting..............

Wednesday

45 x5
    135 x5
    185 x1
    225 x1
    275 -1x2

So I intended to have a light weight de-load today and take it easy, but my squat has looked terrible on video lately. I was hitting depth but it was ugly. So I worked on form a little with medium weight. I did some nice slow squats with good form and depth. Maybe it wasn't the best move to make 3 days before the meet, but I was feeling stiff and lethargic anyway.

Good luck man- take it easy the next couple days, rest up and eat, and go in there and kill it.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, it's done It was a lot of fun. I learned a lot, especially from my mistakes. I met a couple of goals, but missed a couple. I met a few cool people and will be better prepared next time.

Squat:
    135 x5
    225 x3
    275 x1
    135 x5(had to warmup again)
    300 x1
    325 x1
    340 x1

These went really well considering that due to some confusion on the flights, I warmed up over an hour early, sat around, and had to stretch and warmup a little a 2nd time. I'm going to start the push to get the squat to 400lbs now.

Bench:
    45 x10
    135 x5
    185 x3
    210 x1
    220 x1

230 -no lift

These went really well too. Even the failure was a good push that I almost got.

Deadlift:
    185 x5
    255 x3
    325 x1
    375 x1 *went up, but no lift*
    375 x1
    410 x1 *went up, but no lift*

This was somewhat disappointing. I was happy with the lifts, but angry because stupid mistakes cost me 2 good lifts. The first lift flew off the ground easily, but I unlocked my knees slightly before the down command. Red lights. The 2nd attempt at 375 flew up too, and I made sure to lock my knees hard and keep them there until the bar hit the floor. I didn't up the weight for the 2nd attempt because I had to be sure I got a rep so I'd have an official total. The 3rd attempt went up quickly and with moderate ease, but as I set my hips forward I stumbled and my foot shuffled slightly. I knew it before they gave me the down command. I stood there a few seconds holding the bar, shaking my head in disbelief at my mistake.

I will be much more prepared next time and I hope to get a 1,000lbs total.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123