starting strength gym
Page 52 of 354 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: DRice311's Bastardization of 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just from my own experimentation. I notice if I dead stop everything my power off the floor is GREAT like I can basically rage pull anything to my knees with my turtleback power.

but like someone who strict touch N go seems to have a way better lockout because they are controlling the eccentric phase down more than most who deadstop. When I deadstop I basically lock it out then control it just enough to not get redlighted on the way down.

This kind of goes back to stuff I have read / heard about picking your poison with the dead. Even within conventional only styles.

You got guys who pull with a round upperback who have to fight lockouts which means they have a ton of power off the floor. Then guys who deadlift clean style with a perfect arch have a pretty hard time off the floor eventually but lockout is easier.

Same thing Sumo vs Conventional. Sumo = Easier Lockout Conv = Easy off floor. In VERY VERY VERY general terms.

Deadlifting is rad as fuck though.

Yeah, all of that makes sense. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Just from my own experimentation. I notice if I dead stop everything my power off the floor is GREAT like I can basically rage pull anything to my knees with my turtleback power.

but like someone who strict touch N go seems to have a way better lockout because they are controlling the eccentric phase down more than most who deadstop. When I deadstop I basically lock it out then control it just enough to not get redlighted on the way down.

This kind of goes back to stuff I have read / heard about picking your poison with the dead. Even within conventional only styles.

You got guys who pull with a round upperback who have to fight lockouts which means they have a ton of power off the floor. Then guys who deadlift clean style with a perfect arch have a pretty hard time off the floor eventually but lockout is easier.

Same thing Sumo vs Conventional. Sumo = Easier Lockout Conv = Easy off floor. In VERY VERY VERY general terms.

Deadlifting is rad as fuck though.
    I think we found your new nickname. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtleback.

Interesting stuff - so you are saying slowing down the eccentric helps with lockout? I do this out of neccessity because my gym's owner thinks I am going to break his floor. If I fail a rep, it is always below my knees. If I can get it to my knees, I am pretty much good as gold. But I lift with super high hips (working on it).

If I created more time between my reps - you think that would negate the stretch reflex, meaning training more power off the floor? But then you get into the whole debate of taking too much time/is it still a set, blah blah blah.

Well when I drop a bar if I am deadstopping on the floor I usually lose a bit of full back extension. If that makes sense. Most guys who strict touch n go (not that bounce shit) maintain this pristine arch throughout a set for the most part.

Obviously at some point everything can be very individual.

i wouldnt change shit youre doing. Your dead has went apeshit over the past few months dont fuck with it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    i wouldnt change shit youre doing. Your dead has went apeshit over the past few months dont fuck with it. lol
    LOL, thanks man.

(Cycle 22 - 5,5,5+ on Wendler's program):

Monday (12/03):

Press:
    5 at 145#
    5 at 165#
    5+ at 190#
    Got 6 - After not being able to hit my reps last cycle - I went ahead and reset 10%. First time I've had to do this, head wasn't really in it - thinking it was going to be a light, easy workout. 190 for a top set takes me back to weight I was using before even starting this log (because I've been using 2.5# increases for the past several months). Was surprised I only got 6, but that being said, this is the first time I've gotten + reps on press in as long as I can remember.

Assistance:
    Press - 1x6 at 165# - not difficult
    Press Backoff Sets - 2x12 at 135# - again, not too difficult
    Seated DB Press - 1x8; 1x10; 1x9 at 85# dumbells - went straight into these from the backoff sets, hence I only got 8 on my first set
    DB Lateral Raises - 3x12 at 45# dumbells
    Reverse Fly's - 3x10 at 145# - forgot to do the band pullapart sub, will do pullaparts next week.
    Face Pulls - 3x10 at 165#
    Power Shrugs - 3x15 at 405#

6x190 is still awesome man. Nice job!

Tuesday (12/04):

Squat:
    5 at 300#
    5 at 345#
    5+ at 390#
    Got 6 at 390# - 1, maybe 2 left in the tank. Tired and sluggish going in, but felt good about the set.

Assistance:
    Deadlifts - 2x10 at 325# - tried to do these DOH, lol. got the first 5, the rest were all mixed grip.
    RDL's - 3x10 at 270# - DOH - lowerback and hamstrings were smoked after this.
    Preacher Curls - 3x20 at 50# - was going to do my normal 3x12 at 110# - 2 reps in my elbow highly disagreed with me. Dropped the weight and just went for high rep.
    Incline Curls - 3x15 at 40# dumbells - these felt fine

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post

Press:
    5 at 145#
    5 at 165#
    5+ at 190#
    Got 6 - After not being able to hit my reps last cycle - I went ahead and reset 10%. First time I've had to do this, head wasn't really in it - thinking it was going to be a light, easy workout. 190 for a top set takes me back to weight I was using before even starting this log (because I've been using 2.5# increases for the past several months). Was surprised I only got 6, but that being said, this is the first time I've gotten + reps on press in as long as I can remember.
    What did you get on this weight back then?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    What did you get on this weight back then?
    Had to look this up, but I got 5, and the 5th one was a grind.