starting strength gym
Page 14 of 136 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding Out that the Iron Never Lies

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Congrats on the PRs!

Thanks seti.

June 6 2013

Fat Bar Clean and Push Press x 3 @ 185 lbs- 2 sets. Pretty tough, but mostly just on letting bar down. It's getting a little tough to clean it up, but still ok for the push press portion.

Farmers walk w/ 165 lbs- 2 runs. Tough. I had to set it down after each turn. On the first it was due to bars turning too far and on the second because the back ends got tangled together.

Sandbag carry w/ 165 lbs- 2 runs. Tough but grip is easier when it is held in the middle.

Sled drag w/ 90 lbs- ok.
    Sled drag with 160 lbs- tough.

I just found out the strongman comp in July will not have any overhead press event. Looks like I've wasted a bunch of time on those.

Quote Originally Posted by bustermonkey2 View Post
    I just found out the strongman comp in July will not have any overhead press event. Looks like I've wasted a bunch of time on those.
    That is crazy!!! I thought all strongman comps had overhead stuff. Bummer dude.

Welcome to strongman. I have yet to do a contest when all of the events occur as listed on the entry. Some contests have more dramatic changes than others though-- sounds like yours dropped or swapped an event. It's not necessarily time wasted though, just time spent getting technically better and stronger.

Good luck! Where's the contest, if you don't mind me asking?

Jenica- It's the Iowa Games Strongman Event set for July 20th. It was slated to have an overhead press event, tire flip, loading medley with sandbag carry and sled drag, vehicle pull and farmers walk. Now they eliminated the overhead press. I admit I'm nervous because it's my 1st strongman and I've only been training for it about 6 weeks with a month to go. I guess one the common complaint is about this one is that they generally use the same weights for lightweight and heavyweight class. I don't mind losing my weight class but I am hoping not to be embarrassed.

June 12 2013
    Bodyweight @ 220 lbs

I was out of town from June 7-11 so I didn't get any workouts done. Also, since I know overhead press has been eliminated, I'm going to do it only as an accessory exercise to bench instead of twice a week as a main lift.

Squats @ 395 lbs- 3 PR. A little tough but really not too bad.
    Squats x 5 @ 355 lbs- 2 sets. These were tough and tiring. I am not sure if I didn't get enough sleep when traveling or something else.

Deadlift @ 445 lbs- 2. I wanted 3 so a bit of a disappointment. I had a little left after the 2nd rep but the second rep was so slow I didn't feel like trying to grind out a third rep.
    Deadlift @ 405 lbs- 3. Ok but tired by this point.

Squat @ 395 lbs- 3 PR.

Jenica- It's the Iowa Games Strongman Event set for July 20th. It was slated to have an overhead press event, tire flip, loading medley with sandbag carry and sled drag, vehicle pull and farmers walk. Now they eliminated the overhead press. I admit I'm nervous because it's my 1st strongman and I've only been training for it about 6 weeks with a month to go. I guess one the common complaint is about this one is that they generally use the same weights for lightweight and heavyweight class. I don't mind losing my weight class but I am hoping not to be embarrassed.
    Truck pulls are fun! Is it a harness pull, or hand over hand?

The best advice I can give is to watch what more seasoned competitors do, but don't change your practiced technique day of. As you've probably experienced, it takes a few tries to get the feel of something and you'll only get one shot that day.

Same weights for LW and HW is strange, but maybe limited by available equipment (tires, vehicle, etc). Often there is one single women's class, so I've been there!

You still have plenty of training time, don't stress.

Thanks Jenica- from past video the truck pull is with a harness and they give you a rope to pull. I am trying to train it by pulling the sled with a harness and I'll attach a rope to the sled and pull it towards me to get the feel of pulling on the rope.

June 16 2013- I am now combining press/push press and bench since press is not an event for July strongmen comp. so I'll cut sets down to 2.

Bench @ 317 lbs-2. PR. Ok. I had some left here but didn't want to push for 3 since I'm combining my press and bench now and didn't want to be too fatigued right at the start.

Bench x 5 @ 280 lbs- 2 sets. Mostly ok.

Push press x 3 @ 190 lbs- 2 sets. A little tough, I think because I went into it a little fatigued from bench. I am getting used to the push pretty movement.

Chins w/ 45 lbs- 5,5. I tried for 6 on 2nd set and couldn't quite get it.

Situps with 25 lbs- 10,10. ok.

Dips w/ 90 lbs- 10,10. Tough.

Hang. Leg Raises- 8, 5. I had to work in with someone and they didn't take more than a minute rest so I was not recovered by the second set.

starting strength coach development program
    June 18 2013
    Bodyweight @ 218 lbs

Farmers Walk w/ 175 lbs- 1 run. A little tough. Instead of doing turn with weight, I put it down, spun around and picked it back up. Although a bit slower it was more manageable.
    Farmers Walk w/ 185 lbs- 1 run. Pretty tough. Used same strategy of putting it down instead of turning with the weight.

Sandbag carry w/ 165 lbs- 2 runs. These were both still pretty tough. I need more work on transfer from knees to carry as I'm often holding bag too high.

Sled drag w/ harness @ 160 lbs- approx. 35 feet. Very tough, mostly because it was on uneven rough sidewalk. Next time I'll do it on more level, smoother pavement.
    Sled drag w/ harness @ 140 lbs- approx 35 feet. Pretty tough but doable.