starting strength gym
Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob's Brooklyn Block (periodization) Party

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I came in and made pretend I was at the globo... Bench and arms bro...

Bench w/ slingshot: 220x5x3

Triceps rollbacks:
    DB 35x 11, 13, 15

Biceps:
    DB 35x 10, 12, 13

Notes
    Lumbar tightened up on me during bench warmups. Unfortunate.
    Odd numbers!
    Not enough time or space to cg bench.

Ah, I was wondering what happened with that. Hope Equinox is less lame!

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Ah, I was wondering what happened with that. Hope Equinox is less lame!
    Yea, I've been to Crunch about 3 times this month... I got a couple week-long guest passes to Equinox and it's been good. Very chill gym for NYC.

Great training session with Long Island Starting Strength team today.

Squat: 330x5x3
    This was 5RM PR, so it's kind cool to do 3 sets of it. They were pretty solid sets. Cues I received from the chorus of coaches were mainly "full foot" and "elbows up."

Bench w/ slingshot: 225x5x3
    These were fine. Still moving up.

Deadlift: 355x2x2
    We had a discussion about my low hips. I keep them that way because my it feels safer for my back. The consensus seemed to be if my shoulders are over the bar (which they are) then it's OK. They don't raise first so that's good too. Anyway, these two doubles were fine. I intended to do a drop set of five, but my back was barking pretty good so I let it lie.

Good times! Unfortunately I didn't stay for dinner, but I gotta try this place they are raving about so next time. Hopefully soon, great training environment. Thanks to Rori for making it happen.

Sounds fun and like you are doing well. I also tend to want to pull with lower hips than I am "supposed" to, and I also feel like it is safer for my back. And, I am also trying to pull again the "right" way. Hopefully, our backs enjoy the process.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ChadTheMeatBeast View Post
    Sounds fun and like you are doing well. I also tend to want to pull with lower hips than I am "supposed" to, and I also feel like it is safer for my back. And, I am also trying to pull again the "right" way. Hopefully, our backs enjoy the process.
    Thanks Chad. Yea, things are going pretty well at this point. I'll be interested to see what this slingshot and CG benching translates into.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post

Good times! Unfortunately I didn't stay for dinner, but I gotta try this place they are raving about so next time. Hopefully soon, great training environment. Thanks to Rori for making it happen.
    My pleasure! Such a great thing to have so many good lifters train together

Don't worry! We will have wild fig Friday Saturday and Sunday of meet weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yum-O

My wife wanted to work out today (a day late is better than never) so I went to the gym with her and tried fix her squat. One thing I should have learned from Rip by now is that information the lifter gives you may confuse or complicate the matter so it's your job to shift through that and get the lift looking like it should based on the model.

Anyway, she had formed some bad habits coming back from her grad school layoff (she didn't lift for two years). I realized today that these were tendencies she had when she first started but I didn't teach how to squat so I wasn't aware of those per se.

First we worked with the TUFR (terribly useful foam roller) to fix her knee slide. As we went up in weight she starting knocking it down with the interior of her knee. So I moved it in more and had her focus on keeping her knee outside the roller. At this point we had to drop the weight (we were 50 pounds under her work sets a week ago) so she was a little frustrated but determined to work this out.

I remembered how Jeremy (our original SS coach) had her air-squatting with a band around her knees as a warm up to get her to focusing on knees out. I didn't have a band so I had her push her knees out against my hands as she did air squats. She then did two more work sets and it was looking more consistent and I had her squatting without knee slide and without her knees caving in at the bottom. Hopefully we can build from here!

She was a good student, was appreciative of the coaching and we didn't fight. This seems to be a rarity with couples coaching each other! (Although Rori and John seem to be doing a great job on that front).

She moved onto benching and I snuck in some power cleans:
    Hang PC: 95x3x2, 115x2, 125x2, 135x2, 145x2, 155x2, 165xF (WTF?)
    I really miscalculated that last pull-- i thought it was coming all the way up, but it did not and had a funny catch and dropped it. Sort of tweaked my elbow (it's fine) so I called it there. I wasn't really feeling it--definitely tired from yesterday and probably should have taken at least a full day off.

ERG intervals: 7 full-blast w/ 1:40 rests
    Definitely lost some juice from not doing these consistently.

I'm thinking about doing a self-prescribe deload until Saturday. I'm going to get in a couple lift days this week with some conditioning, but super low volume. I work on my Cleans with David Orsorio next Saturday so I hope to DL afterwards.

starting strength coach development program
    We don't fight. At all. It's weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast