starting strength gym
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trav's 2014 log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Well I had spent 30 minutes writing out a whole page about training and meet thoughts, but Starting Strength decided to boot me out and throw it in the garbage.

3/17

Squats 300x6x6 - 10lbs heavier than last week, but easier. I am not even a shred sore today, so I may need to add weight. We'll see after Wednesday. It could be that I am now squatting in a singlet every time.

Training Stuff
    ---------------------------------------
    So to catch up, I am running Smolov Jr for squat and bench concurrently. I feel this is the best way to dial in my lifts before the meet. Not only am I getting hundreds of reps in to peak my form, but Smolov has also never failed to produce at least some gains for me. This is my best chance at defending against Kennedy.

Meet Stuff
    ---------------------------------------
    This meet came up kind of suddenly for me. I was 7th in line on the waiting list so I didn't expect to get in, and I've only just begun training seriously again. Now that we're three weeks out, I feel it's time to do some meet planning.

Squats
    405/420/440 - I am confident that 420 is in the bag. I really don't know if I'll have much more, but I'm going to take a swing at 440 anyway. It would be a 5lb PR, but I just see no reason not to go for it. If I don't make 440, it'd be the same to me as if I took 435 and made it. Either way though, whatever Kennedy goes for I'm willing to try more. That's what spotters are for, right?

Bench
    245/270/275-285 - I really don't know where I stand yet on bench. I did 265 touch n go on a whim after a full bench workout recently, so I'm thinking that after this round of Smolov I will be good to match that with a pause at the very least. So I will go for that or a little more depending on how things feel. If this cycle produces any gains, I'd love to give 285 a try on the third for a 10lb meet PR. I'll have a lot better of an idea of my chances of that after this week.

Deadlift
    405/455/475-500 - No fucking clue where I'm at with these, as I haven't really tested a max in a long time. Smolov has always improved my deadlift, so we'll have to see. I know I can get 455, and 455 is going to tell me what to choose on my third, which could be anywhere between 475 and 500. A year ago I hit 500 twice right after the Battle on the Border meet at which I took 490 and failed 502 above the knees. I'll probably go for 502 again despite what 455 feels like because 475 is lame and nobody has time for that. FuCk It MaN.

This is all very optimistic for only 6 weeks of serious training. My REAL goal is to get a little adrenaline rush, walk around in a singlet, hang out with friends, go to Savannah, and have steak dinner at a cool-ass brewery. I'm really looking forward to this, y'all.

Yeah, I almost always type in notepad and then copy and paste to the forum. I'm amused by how many times you're calling Alex out on squats in this post with only 6 weeks training. Should be fun to watch.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Not trying to call him out too much, just explaining my main motivation for this meet.

3/18

Bench
    195x6x6 - Easy but my form was shit. I am benching from a squat stand and my bench has the slightest amount of incline and it throws me off a bit. I'm thinking of DIYing my own bench.

Row
    195x6x6 - Also easy

3/19

Squat
    320x7x5 - Finished all sets relatively smooth, but that doesn't mean I am not exhausted, yeeeeeesh. So sleepy after this one.

Today I could really feel what form changes I needed. Getting the right foot placement, pushing against my belt, and not leaning forward made a night and day difference between some reps.

My whiskey of choice these days is Elijah Craig. Thought you should probably know that. Nice squatting!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kennedy View Post
    My whiskey of choice these days is Elijah Craig. Thought you should probably know that. Nice squatting!
    Thanks! Is that the 12 year? I've heard it's very good. You can gift me a bottle when I squat 450 before you.

I recently tried the Rittenhouse Rye and it was ok but not really my thing. Our store started carrying some new stuff including the New Holland beer barrel whiskey!

3/21

Squat 345×8(sets)×4 (reps)

Somehow I got a little adrenaline going and murdered the 6th and 7th set. 8th was a struggle though.

Low back fatigue has massively decreased since I've paid attention to pushing against my belt and keeping my torso upright. Before I was using tons of hip drive and ended up leaning forward, having to good morning the weight up. brought the stance in and it's been a lot easier on my knee 'itis. The result has been cleaner, easier reps.

One day I'll get my very own pair of those fancy rehband sleeves.

Bench and rows later tonight

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trav_longo; 03-21-2014 at 12:57 PM.

3/21 round 2

Bench 215×4(sets)×5 (reps)

Lowered the weight when I realized I was doing more than prescribed.

210x3x5

Rows
    210x5x5

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    3/23

Squat
    365×10(sets)×3(reps) - pretty hard

Bench
    225×8(sets)×4(reps) - pretty easy

Row
    225×6(sets)×4(reps) - so tired