Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave "Bull" Abdemoulaie's Heavy Ass Training Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Tuesday, Jan. 20

Squat: 5x5x475
    P. Clean: 5x3x200

Ugh. Squat never felt heavy today, but it took me forever to catch my breath each set and my heart rate always seemed super fast going into each set. I spent the time between sets 3, 4 and 5 completely supine on the floor hating life. After my 4th and 5th I was super light-headed and felt briefly like I was going to puke. Started with one breath between reps, but moved to 2 by rep 9, and 3 by rep 22. Weight always moved quickly though.

Power cleans felt similarly like crap. Fast and easy weight, wanted to sleep between sets.

Not sure what the problem is here. Slept 8.5 hrs, well. Maybe because I had a shit breakfast? Just ate a "cereal bar" because I was pressed for time. But I ate a sandwich, bag of chips, large brownie, and 2 lb. of chicken w/ rice for lunch.

Alternate explanation: I felt like complete crap Sunday afternoon through evening. Stayed up till 2PM with a headache. Stayed home from work on Monday and slept most of the day. I felt great last night doing my bench and press, but those pale in comparison to the exertion required for squatting. Maybe I'm just getting over whatever struck me Sunday/Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by David Abdemoulaie View Post
    Alternate explanation: I felt like complete crap Sunday afternoon through evening. Stayed up till 2PM with a headache. Stayed home from work on Monday and slept most of the day. I felt great last night doing my bench and press, but those pale in comparison to the exertion required for squatting. Maybe I'm just getting over whatever struck me Sunday/Monday.
    That sounds about right to me, Mr. Bull. Still some amazeballs weight you're moving. Hope it feels good again soon!

Ya, 475x5x5 when you're still recovering from something doesn't sound so bad.

Thursday, Jan. 22

Bench: 5x1x360
    Press: 5x215 (pr)
    Dips: 1x15 +15 lb

Bench wasn't as easy as usual. I think I bounced my 2nd rep. Fifth rep was great though. Press was super easy, new PR. Need to get video of my press though. I may be unlocking my knees. Can't feel it but it was just stupid easy today.

No time to finish dips.
    David Abdemoulaie, SSC
    Chicago Strength & Conditioning

Friday, Jan. 23

Squat: 5x520
    Dead: 5x485

Squat felt ok warming up. Felt good on work set. Little out of position on fifth rep. Dead felt great today
    David Abdemoulaie, SSC
    Chicago Strength & Conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by David Abdemoulaie View Post
    Friday, Jan. 23

Squat: 5x520
    That's disgusting. Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    That's disgusting. Shit.
    I met Dave at the Lexington seminar. He was just there for the lectures and didn't lift. I remember asking him at lunch what he would have squatted. He casually said, "Oh, 475 or so." I felt very weak. No one else at the seminar squatted more than 3 plates, IIRC.

Looking at both Karl's and David's numbers, what does Chicago put in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by salvilla View Post
    Looking at both Karl's and David's numbers, what does Chicago put in the water?
    The ground up bones of the weak.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday, Jan. 26

Bench: 5x5x295
    Press: 8, 8, 7 @180
    Banded TPD: 3x21

Bench felt great, only slowed down a bit on the 5th set. Press was good until 3rd set. Sent my 8th rep up kinda loose and ended up with lots of layback. Could have probably finished it but it felt ugly so I aborted.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    The ground up bones of the weak.
    Haha.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast