starting strength gym
Page 41 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Lou's Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    I heard they will be raising the qualifying numbers for 2016 Nationals. Not sure if you number is the new one. I hope it is.

I was talking to a USAPL person and they said if they had raised the qualifying number this year it would have limited the Nationals to 700 lifters...a drop of 500.

You have time.
    Yeah, that's the much higher 2016 qualifying total.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Yeah, that's the much higher 2016 qualifying total.
    your squat and deadlifts I recall are damn strong. Get your bench up. easier said I know. Bench numbers are slower to move. 1150 is a tough number @ 163lbs. you already got a 400 squat, by May 1 your squat should be higher, if you get your bench to 270, that leaves the pull. you got this
    Last edited by lou t; 10-29-2015 at 05:50 AM.

your squat and deadlifts I recall are damn strong. Get your bench up. easier said I know. Bench numbers are slower to move. 1150 is a tough number @ 163lbs. you already got a 400 squat, by May 1 your squat should be higher, if you get your bench to 270, that leaves the pull. you got this
    Thanks, lou. I'm definitely good for 400/250/500 on a decent day, but they all have room for improvement, and I definitely need to build in some cushion to be sure I'll hit the total. The good news is I can still do some growing, since I'm only about 164-165 now, with a higher bodyfat percentage than I'm used to carrying. Of course even if 1st place is out of reach for me, I want to feel like I belong at Raw Nats, rather than barely qualify to come in last. Lots of work ahead, but quite a bit of time to do it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Thanks, lou. I'm definitely good for 400/250/500 on a decent day, but they all have room for improvement, and I definitely need to build in some cushion to be sure I'll hit the total. The good news is I can still do some growing, since I'm only about 164-165 now, with a higher bodyfat percentage than I'm used to carrying. Of course even if 1st place is out of reach for me, I want to feel like I belong at Raw Nats, rather than barely qualify to come in last. Lots of work ahead, but quite a bit of time to do it in.
    If you qualify, you certainly belong. IMO where you finish is not the only measure of your success. Getting out on the platform under the conditions of a Nationals, being able to control your insides, block out the outside stuff and lift under close scrutiny, is successful in book. It is not an easy environment by no means. Not to mention the entire experience is a blast.

If you qualify, you certainly belong. IMO where you finish is not the only measure of your success. Getting out on the platform under the conditions of a Nationals, being able to control your insides, block out the outside stuff and lift under close scrutiny, is successful in book. It is not an easy environment by no means. Not to mention the entire experience is a blast.
    You're the man, lou.

Well said Lou. I'm anticipating the qualifying total for the 93kg class to move up to 1300+ lbs. USAPL has to walk a fine line with keeping the weights challenging without making nationals so exclusive that it isn't profitable. That's just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Acosta View Post
    Well said Lou. I'm anticipating the qualifying total for the 93kg class to move up to 1300+ lbs. USAPL has to walk a fine line with keeping the weights challenging without making nationals so exclusive that it isn't profitable. That's just my opinion though.
    I agree. I also think that since this nationals and its organizer did a pretty good job of handling the volume, they may decide on a reasonable qualifying number, after all, it is a business.

I was led to believe that they had already passed the classification (percentile) based qualifiers at the committee meeting during Nationals this year and they were just waiting until January to update the actual numbers.

This image has been floated on the reddit /r/powerlifting subreddit.

You may be right. The discussion I heard was between 2 USAPL officials that just came from the meeting you refer to.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm guessing we'll find out by January. Doubt my total will be high enough for the 231's or 264's (where I probably belong) until 2017 at the earliest.

ETA: Also, I wasn't paying attention when I made the first post that this was in your personal log. Just letting you know that the reason I was reading at all is that you're a pretty inspiring guy Lou. I think we can all hope to still have the passion and persistence you have when we reach your tenure in the game.

Page 41 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast