starting strength gym
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Locutus Journal

Default October 7, 2008

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Low Bar Back Squat 305lbs: 5/5/5

PR. These felt good. Tiring, but no doubt in my mind that I'd get all three sets.

Bench 215lbs: 3 (Tried for 4th, nope)

I decided to change my approach on the "intensity" day: Since anything in the 1-5RM range is good for this day, I will start the "cycle" at something I can definitely do for 5 and jump 5lbs per week, going for max reps. At some point I will fail at a 1RM, at that point I will reset back to a weight manageable for 5. So, I should've started this cycle at 205lbs for 5, instead of 210. Not a big deal.

Power Clean 69kg(152.1lbs): 3/3/3/3/3

First three sets felt nice. Last two didn't feel as explosive, but weren't hard. I think I need to focus delaying the first pull until higher on my thigh, and jumping as hard as I can. For me, focusing on stomp doesn't make the jump that explosive.

BW 187.5lbs

Oh, and for easy conversion of lbs to kg or vice versa I use google. Just type in "69kg to lbs" without the quotes, for example.

Default October 10, 2008

Low Bar Back Squat 307.5lbs: 5/4/0

Weirdness. I got some weird pain in my low quads (IT band?) after the second set. Decided to pop some advil before the third set. When I descended for the third set, I basically lost tension at the bottom, and just dropped it onto the safety bars.

Bench: 180lbs: 6/6/6/6

No problems here. The last two sets were easier than the first two for whatever reason.

Power Clean 70.5kg(155.4lbs): 3/3/3/3/3

Last two sets were better than the first three, probably due to increased rest on them. A lifter said that it's better to think of "triple extension" instead of a jump, so I may do some reading on clean technique.

BW 190.2ish

It's getting very close to intermediate time. Don't know how much longer I'll wait before making the switch. Definitely not until after Sunday, though.

Oh, also, I've decided to make my light day 6x2 speed box squats@50-60%1RM (instead of Front Squats 3x3), since our campus gym has an elitefts box.

Default October 12, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    Definitely not until after Sunday, though.
    Actually, decided to make the full switch to intermediate. My novice days are over, and staying on the novice program would slow my progress.

Recovery Day

Low Bar Speed Box Squats 185lbs: 2/2/2/2/2/2

These felt very interesting. I was able to use the the lowest pin and still keep tension during the entire descent. The concentric was nice and explosive, the plates rattled every time. I think I will prefer these to front squats for my middle day.

Press 120lbs: 5/5/5/5/5

Later sets easier.

Chinups BW: 7.8/3.7/4.9

Trying to quantify how high my chin got to the bar on the last rep.

Also played around with power clean technique on the empty bar. Trying to get the hang of the triple extension.

BW 190.6

Default Intermediate Programming

This is how my program is going to be run for now (courtesy of KSC):

Friday - Volume Day
    Squats 5 x 5
    Bench 4 x 6 or 5 x 5
    Cleans 5-6 x 3 (may be done before squats if you want)

Sunday - Recovery Day
    [Front Squats 3x3
    or Light Back Squats 2x5
    or Dynamic Effort Box Squat 6 x 2 x 50-60% 1RM]
    Press 5 x 5
    Pull Ups x whatever
    (if you really want to pull off the floor three days a week then you could do light cleans or even snatches here, 4 x 2)

Tuesday - Intensity Day
    Dynamic Effort Box Squat 12 x 2 x 50-60% 1RM
    Bench 1-5RM
    Deadlifts 1 x 5 (heavier is OK too, but I'll typically stick to 5er's here)

OR

Squats 5RM, 3RM, or 1RM
    Dynamic Effort Bench Press 10 x 3 x 40-50% 1RM
    Rack Pulls 5RM, 3RM, or 1RM

Default October 14, 2008

Intensity Day

Low Bar Back Squat 305lbs: 5

Not much of a problem(I've done this weight for a 5er before). Might have been able to go for more than 5, but no reason to. As always, need to focus on knees out/hips back on the work sets. 310 next week!

Bench Press 220lb: 4

These were awesome! Not only did I jump 5 lbs from last week, but I also got an extra rep. 2 plates next week!

Deadlift: 0

Felt this weird crink really low in my back (actually, more like the butt/tailbone area) after the 122.5kg(270.1 lbs) warmup double. Didn't want to risk anything after that point. No change in ROM or any pain with the movement. Just gonna ice the area.

Played with clean form @ 20kg after workout.

BW 189.2ish

Default big bencher!

Your bench is blowing up! 225 next week - nice pushing. Much bigger than this summer. Keep it up.

Peace

Default October 17, 2008

Volume Day

Low Bar Back Squat 255 lbs: 5/5/5/5/5

Not much of a problem here. I was slightly worried because of the weird back twinge/soreness that occurred during the deadlifts last week, but it disappeared after warming up. Tuesday (when I do Deadlifts next) will be a better test, though. Bar speed on first set was relatively slow, but it was good for the rest of the sets. 265 lbs next week!

Bench Press 185 lbs: 6/6/6/6

Good here. Next week I'll be surpassing my previous 5x5 PR (186.25lbs). The 115lbs x 3 warmup was unevenly loaded, which threw me off my groove slightly for the last warmup and first work set. My arch and foot drive also felt better than normal, which is interesting because of the semi-back injury last week.

Power Clean 72.5kg(158.9lbs): 3/3/3/3/3/3

These felt amazing. Much better form than is typical. Focused on hip thrust and straightening out explosively, rather than a "jump."

I did more warmup volume than normal too, which may have helped. The warmup sets didn't feel anywhere near as explosive as the work sets, though.

The very last three reps were weird because of misloading on one side for the first rep, and then my thumb skin had ripped off in the fifth set.

BW 191.8 lbs

Default Slight update on programming

For Intensity Day(Tuesday), I'm going to typically do 12x2 speed box squats, heavy bench, and heavy deads. I will ramp up the box squats maybe 5lbs or so per week.

Once I get to near 60% 1RM, I will instead test for a Squat 1-5RM (to recalibrate the box squats), do speed bench 10x3 (40-50% 1RM), and heavy rack pulls.

For Recovery Day (Sunday), I'll do either 3x3 Front Squats or 2x5 Light Back Squats, depending on what I feel like doing that week. Probably the light back squats unless I have an itch for front squats. Maybe 6x2 Speed Box Squats if I'm not box squatting on the Intensity Day that week.

Default Sunday: October 19, 2008

Sunday: October 19, 2008

Recovery Day

Light Low Bar Back Squats 215lbs: 5/5

Meh. Form was good and explosive, but wasn't feelin' it. Maybe it just took me a really long time to warm up. Maybe I should wear pants when outside?

Press 124.4lbs: 5/5/5/5/5

As always, despite a decent warmup it still took several heavy sets to get in the groove. I also accidentally did way too many reps on my last warmup set of 105lbs. Later sets easier!

Wide grip pullups: 4.7/3/3

I much prefer supinated or hammer grip chins, but my lifting partner did these, so I decided to as well. So much harder! I guess you're supposed to do what you're bad at, though.

BW 191lbs

Ready to set some PRs in Bench and Dead on Tuesday!

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe it just took me a really long time to warm up. Maybe I should wear pants when outside?
    My ~3 mi bike ride to get to the gym gets me pretty warm, to the point where I can tell the difference on the days I don't bike there. I'd suggest doing 10 mins on a stationary bike or the indoor track just to get the body temp up.

Ready to set some PRs in Bench and Dead on Tuesday!
    Me too! Let me know what time you're going.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast