starting strength gym
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Cole's HLM/TM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thanks Eric, still pretty new.

Thanks for looking Bill, that's a lot to digest. I have always seemed to have some good morning action and depth has always been borderline (only missed lift last meet was a squat attempt too high). I understand locking the knees, then getting the hips back, but I cant visualize having both the hips back and chest down simealtaneously. Seems to me that when the hips sink for that extra inch, the chest pops up a tad? then goes back down once the hips rise out of bottom. I do agree, keeping the back angle constant is imperative especially once weights get heavy so I don't get stapled.

Either way, I think I need to just bury them next time and leave no doubt. Maybe Ill stay at 315 til I can bury them all

Cole - Yep, it's a lot to digest/orchestrate. But then again, it's not.

Your knee slide forward is pretty minimal, but it shows us that you aren't reaching back enough with your hips. The knee slide backwards shows that they are not in the correct position to serve as that lever required to get the bar moving upward. Your hips are driving upward, but the bar doesn't move upward until your knees are in the correct position, hence the good morning.

The simultaneous chest down/hips back move happens when you focus on reaching your ass to the wall behind. If your chest is popping up a tad as your hips reach proper depth, you probably need a slightly wider stance.

So, from the top...

1. Unrack
    2. Balance
    3. Visualize your Groove and keep the bar in it through the whole lift
    4. Break both knees and hips at the same time
    5. Lock that knee location while continuing to hinge the hips and knees
    6. Reach back with your hips and get that belt between your thighs/nipples towards the floor
    7. Drive the hips out of the hole while maintaining back angle
    8. Once the knees are close to lockout, open the back angle to lock out the lift.

It seems like a lot, but it really isn't once you get the feel. Do each and every warmup rep that way and there's no need to reset weight or stay at 315. As an example, for my standard Squat warmup that includes 45x10x3 when walking in cold, I have 40-41 total reps to focus on the correct form before getting to the work sets. It's a bit more difficult with the empty bar, but as weight is added to the bar during the warmup reps, everything gets into place.

Part of you keeping your chest upright during the descent is that you're afraid of getting stapled and that's how it manifests itself. No need to worry about that, as long as you work on your technique consistently and stick to your program. Sure, it will happen eventually, but don't let that deter you from getting that back angle correct at the beginning of your rep.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    I cant visualize having both the hips back and chest down simealtaneously.
    That’s because it’s not possible to do that. Sully has a great article and video on this very subject:

BAR HIGH, HIPS LOW: IMPROVE YOUR SQUAT WITH THIS SIMPLE FIX.

Good catch, Eric. I didn't quite read it that way, but there it is.

Cole - back angle should be correct by about the mid-way point of the descent. That's part of my Step 5 above.

Thanks guys. Good article Eric, appreciate the link - I am a Sully fan. Bill, lots of good points, now to practice tomorrow. I think I will start going up 5lbs per session til it gets heavy and I need the mid week light day, where I will do pause squats to really feel the bottom position and make sure I get depth (not by lowering the chest, but by loweringthe hips - bar high hips low)

9/12
    LP Session 11

Squat
    320 x 5 x 3

Bench Press
    240 x 5 x 3

Chins (+12lbs)
    5, 5, 5

Notes: Did another depth check for squats. I am going to buy some lighter gym shorts to see the hip crease better. I do believe I am at parallel and if I wasn't a powerlifter I would cease all investigation into depth. However, I am a powerlifter, I do have a meet in the near future, and red lights are my enemy. Damn squats are my absolute favorite movement but take 90% of my attention when it comes to technique and analysis in general. First set my descent was way too slow, timing was off but I was able to stay nice and tight. Second set was very fluid and natural (video below) but also more relaxed and not as tight in the hole. Need to find a middle ground. Bench went fine. Relatively speaking, these weights are still light for me and I am simply refining skill right now.

Video:
    squat - YouTube
    squat depth check - YouTube

You're pretty much at depth. Considering your goals, best to remove all doubt. Lighter shorts will help everyone see.

First set - descent wasn't too slow if you're able to stay tight the entire time. You were a consistent 3-count on the way down, about 2.5-count on the way up. Any faster than that on the descent and you're dive-bombing, which means that you're going to lose tightness too.

Now to keep focus on getting those hips back on the descent...

You are borderline on depth but it does look like you're hitting the maximum extension of the muscles. Try narrowing your stance just a shade: should take care of it.

My two cents (all its worth) - Depth looks good to me, maybe the first rep was borderline but the rest looked good. Hip crease was below the knees. Stance looks good width wise (especially since you are a competitive powerlifter), speed looks about right for that amount of weight and how strong you are.

I see a slight bit of knee cave on the ascent. Make sure you push your knees out when you rise. Try to slide your feet sideways (but don't slide. just apply side pressure) on both descent and ascent. To do this you have to push your knees out. This also keeps all the leg muscles tight.

Lastly, brace hard into your belt with your stomach, like push it hard into your belt. This really helps at the bottom of the lift bouncing you out of the hole.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the advice again Bill, Maybach...

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post

Lastly, brace hard into your belt with your stomach, like push it hard into your belt. This really helps at the bottom of the lift bouncing you out of the hole.
    Great cue skid. I have actually noticed this that when I lift directly after I eat, and my stomach is full and I feel fat, I actually squat better bc my stomach presses against the belt better and bounces out of bottom better too. funny. Also, yeah Ive noticed the knee cave as well, and actually, it was worse when I had a wider stance. Bringing in the stance has been a good thing.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast