• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    9/14
    LP Session 12
    BW=226

Squat
    325 x 5 x 3

- depth check vid below...continuing the depth obsession. The front oblique view seems high still, but the rear oblique shot is clearly parallel or actually even slightly below. I am kinesthetically aware enough to know that both of these sets were done with identical technique. I am experienced enough to notice small changes in my body's movements and I swear both sets were done the same, yet they seem different depths. Anyway, squats felt really good today, and that makes me happy. I will introduce pause squats next week for the mid week light variant, and that should help with mental awareness of staying tight, and the feeling of reaching depth in the hole. Done with 80% these should be purely practice and not "hard" in absolute terms.

Press
    145 x 5 x 3

DL
    350 x 5

Notes: I love lifting in the morning! Felt so good today. On pulls I have a tendencey to slightly rock back just before pulling the bar from the ground, which moves the shoulders/hips back slightly and reduces my leverages. I need to stay over the bar till the bar is at knee level, that will keep my posterior more involved and should allow a longer and stronger quad extension as well.

Video
    squat - YouTube
    squat depth check - YouTube
    press - YouTube
    DL - YouTube

Depth looks good, overall, but still close. As you know, you want to remove all doubt so that you get white lights.

Watch your depth check video. See where you butt ends up reaching during your drive up? That's your target on the way down. The closer you are to that point before you reach the hole, the more your hamstrings will load and provide that sweet bounce on the way back out of the hole. Plus, it keeps you out of your knees, which will help prevent any knee issues.

Load those hamstrings by reaching back with your butt and that 500+ goal will come easier and sooner.

Nick has an excellent ~30 minute video over on the paid site called Director's Cut | Hip Drive - The Essentials of Loaded Human Movement that gets into this in detail.

BTW, those 80% pause squats, while not hard in absolute terms, will be harder on your recovery than a straight 80% squat session. That extra time under tension is what will get you, so if they start beating you up for your next heavy day, consider dropping a bit of the volume. They are worth it.

Keep at it!

9/17
    LP Session 13

Squat
    330 x 5 x 3

Bench Press
    245 x 5 x 3

Chins (+15lbs)
    5, 5, 5

notes: Went well, did this at 8am and was still a little full from 12 oz milk/protein, 4 eggs, and 2 packets oats plus a cup of coffee. Just a hint of "dread" on 3rd set of squats as these are no longer a walk on the beach, although they are surprisingly still fairly easy. This makes me wonder if I should implement light day or not. I think I will, if anything just to be on the conservative side. If it stretches my LP out a little that's not a bad thing. Bench was almost too easy, I think I have quite a bit to go yet especially upper body. Other than training, I am pretty bored right now, life is groundhog day with little kids. I picked up G.O.T. and started reading again after having finished the series about 6 years ago. Amazing writing, hooked again.

Video:
    squat - YouTube
    bench - YouTube

Nice squats, Cole! Way to get that fifth rep!

If you think you need a light day, at 330x5x3, I would go ahead and do it. I don't recommend hitting a brick wall and resetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    Other than training, I am pretty bored right now, life is groundhog day with little kids.
    Are you me?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Nice squats, Cole! Way to get that fifth rep!

If you think you need a light day, at 330x5x3, I would go ahead and do it. I don't recommend hitting a brick wall and resetting.

Are you me?
    Thanks Eric, 5th wasnt too much of a grind but im in my head right now about technique.

Haha life is interesting w/kids, but I would never trade it for anything else.

9/19
    LP Session 14

Pause Squat
    265 x 5 x 2

Press
    150 x 5 x 3

DL
    365 x 5

notes
    Went ahead with the light day squats so now im doing advanced LP I guess. These 2 sets were significantly less stress than Ive been doing and were easy as hell so we will see if it helps or hinders my progression on the squat.
    Press is going well and I can still take 5lb jumps for now.
    DL: not sure...each rep was as easy as the first which tells me the absolute weigh on the bar is still relatively light but I just have this hesitancy from ground to shin still, and you can tell bc the speed is slowww. I just should be more explosive with this weight bottom line. I have implemented pulling on light squat days now and will be taking 10 pound jumps. at some point more stress will be needed but I will address that as I progress to more intermediate style programming.
    Overall nice morning in the garage lifting and listening to Tool, which by the way they are coming to my town soon. Tickets are 500 bucks and Maynard is such a weirdo I wouldn't put it past him to play behind a sheet though so id rather save the money for an Avs game once season starts. I could get seats on the glass for that price.

Video
    DL - YouTube

9/21
    LP Session 15
    BW=225

Squat - 335 x 5 x 3
    warmups felt like air. then working weight got a little heavy. need to stay tight in the hole but also get deep enough quick enough to take advantage of the stretch reflex

Bench Press - 250 x 5 x 3
    1st set with wrist wraps. 2nd and 3rd without. if i can learn to keep my wrists straight w/out wraps that would be preferable as they are a pain in the ass. weight moved well. bench and press still on basic novice LP

Pendlay Rows - 135 x 5 x 3
    actually enjoyed these. debated on either just doing chins again, or maybe introducing cleans. went with rows since i am trying to keep DL on light squat day only this puts my weeks in a more intermediate like structure with chins, DL, rows on days 1,2,3. I would typically have liked to go more by the book, but i am babying my back due to previous SI/facet tendonitis. the rows worked well bc i could practice my setup as if i was deadlifting, and really work on getting my low back in extension without overfatiguing it. was light enough to not do much, but i got a little lat work in. win-win

notes
    Happy 40th birthday to me. fuck. I am going up to Silverthorne/Breckenridge with the fam for the weekend. Its gonna be awesome up there.

Video
    squat - YouTube
    bench - YouTube
    Last edited by Cole Gorton; 09-21-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    notes
    Happy 40th birthday to me. fuck. I am going up to Silverthorne/Breckenridge with the fam for the weekend. Its gonna be awesome up there.
    Enjoy that milestone. Just look around at your peer group and know that you're miles ahead of them.

Then hang on for the ride. It seems like only yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Enjoy that milestone. Just look around at your peer group and know that you're miles ahead of them.

Then hang on for the ride. It seems like only yesterday...
    Oh trust me I know. It seems not too long ago my kids were rugrats, now they are all into video games...

starting strength coach development program
    9/24
    LP Session 16

Squat - 340 x 5 x 3
    getting a little tough. bar speed is still ok. i remember the first go around with LP in 2017, this is were i tanked (according to logs, i got 340x2).

Press - 155 x 5 x 3
    felt good. was working on throwing the bar over my head. need to keep it closer to my beard on the way up

Chins (+17lbs) - 5, 5, 5

notes
    mountains with family went great, some super awesome hiking and hot springs. came into today a little lethargic, havent been sleeping well...

video
    squat - YouTube
    press - YouTube

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast