starting strength gym
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Cole's HLM/TM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post

Happy 40th birthday to me. fuck. I am going up to Silverthorne/Breckenridge with the fam for the weekend. Its gonna be awesome up there.
    Happy birthday young man! I was in Boulder a couple of weeks ago for my son's wedding...beautiful country!

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Happy birthday young man! I was in Boulder a couple of weeks ago for my son's wedding...beautiful country!
    Thank you for the Bday wishes, T! Boulder is a nice place, awesome flat iron foothills and cool city streets.

9/26
    LP Session 17
    BW=228

Pause Squat - 270 x 5 x 2

Bench Press - 255 x 5 x 3
    nice sets here overall, one set wraps, two without

DL - 375 x 5
    yikes. getting heavier than i would like to admit. upper back rounding as the bar leaves the ground. need to keep bar closer to my shins. i am gonna wear tube socks next time so i dont subconsciously let the bar drift to avoid scraping the legs. not feeling great here either. last meet prep I got away with only doing a top single and a backoff set per week on pulls but i am thinking as i transition to intermediate programming i may need some extra pulling stress to progress (and practice!).

notes
    need to start dialing in nutrition better. ive been eating like shit lately. a typical day should be something like this:

bfast - 4 eggs scrambled, 2 packets of oats OR cheerios, banana, protein shake (2 scoops w/10oz milk)
    lunch - turkey sandwhich w/lettuce, tomato, cheese. Apple. handful of almonds. protein shake (2 scoops w/10oz milk)
    dinner - 8oz lean meat (chicken breast, salmon, steak...) 1 cup of carbs (sweet potato, quiniuo, wild rice...) vegetable like broccoli or asparagus.

video
    bench - YouTube
    DL - YouTube

9/28
    LP Session 18
    BW=230

Squat - 345 x 5 x 3
    last rep of last set a little grindy. otherwise good. low back is 95%. just some remnants of SI/facet tendonitis, which may just be the new norm thanks to being 40 yrs old. i will go forward as though i am at full strength and not give it any more thought.

Press - 160 x 5 x 3
    finally, a weight that is challenging! last rep of sets 2 and 3 were slow. means for sure 2lb jumps now, and with press i hit a wall fast, so actually next jump should be more like an ID set.

Pendlay Rows - 145 x 5 x 3
    i have been getting a lot of utility out of this movement. i setup identical to the DL and do steps 1-4, then instead of dragging the bar up the legs hile standing, i just row the bar up to my chest. works the upper back a bit, and allows me to practice the setting my low back with a wave of extension. i need to find a place for these in my TM

notes:
    I could continue on with several more weeks of LP im sure. This was 6 full weeks, seeing as though I am not a true novice, I do think its best to move to a more varied weekly structure to avoid excessive fatigue. I think I am capable of producing more stress now than in my first year, so I am not as worried about being conservative. Maybe I am rationalizing and I am actually being a pussy??? My counter to that is I will probably be moving to a vanilla TM and so i wont be taking any weight off the bar, since my Intensity Day will just take over where my LP left off.

video:
    squat - YouTube

notes:
    I could continue on with several more weeks of LP im sure. This was 6 full weeks, seeing as though I am not a true novice, I do think its best to move to a more varied weekly structure to avoid excessive fatigue. I think I am capable of producing more stress now than in my first year, so I am not as worried about being conservative. Maybe I am rationalizing and I am actually being a pussy??? My counter to that is I will probably be moving to a vanilla TM and so i wont be taking any weight off the bar, since my Intensity Day will just take over where my LP left off.
    So what's the data point that you are using to determine the across-the-board programming change? Lifts starting to actually fail? Or slowing considerably to the point of near-failure? Sure, the Squat is getting a bit grindy (as it always does in the mid-300s). Press, too, but you're still making +5lb jumps. DL is in the upper 300s, so it's going to be tough, too (although you have more experience in this weight range than I do). Or is it just because the calendar says 6 weeks?

One of the advantages of running LP a second (or third, or fourth, or ...) time is running it higher. Sure, it's a shorter time frame on the calendar overall, but you can run it up to where you most likely could have run it the first time. Why not take advantage of that? The vanilla TM isn't going to help you "avoid excessive fatigue."

Honestly, I was just curious what you were using to rationalize the change. I think you could still run LP for a while. You do too. Your proposed program change isn't going to change the fatigue factor, but more likely exacerbate it due to the increased volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post

Honestly, I was just curious what you were using to rationalize the change.
    I think making one increase per week rather than two is going to help me continue to make progress for a longer time. I can just feel a brick wall coming at this rate.

I think making one increase per week rather than two is going to help me continue to make progress for a longer time. I can just feel a brick wall coming at this rate.
    Gotcha. That feeling does become important once you've run this a few times.

10/1
    TM 1.1
    Volume Day

Squat - 315 x 5 x 5
    easy. 5 minute timer. adductors a little fatigued by end. will plan on hitting 350x5 later this week to continue where i left off with LP

Bench Press - 235 x 5 x 5
    easy. set timer for 5 minutes but was ready after 3-4. shoulders a little achy. nothing that got in the way. will aim for 260x5 later this week to continue where i left off with LP

notes: easy session. went with the recommendation of taking off 10% from last LP day to use for volume day weights. felt too light, but i guess i have three full months before i begin my meet prep so i can afford to be slow. also, went and bought a used AIRDYNE for 50 bucks up in cheyenne. great deal! its in good shape, only 1 speed but i can gauge rpm and time and thats all i need for conditioning so i will implement HIIT on my in between rest days going forward ie: train-conditioning-train-conditioning-train-off-off

10/2
    Conditioning

HIIT Airdyne/treadmill - 5min@3.5mph with 5% grade / round 1:00 airdyne @ 90rpm x 2 rounds
    5 minute slow down
    total 20 minutes

starting strength coach development program
    10/3
    TM 1.2
    Recovery Day

Pause Squat - 275 x 5 x 2
    active recovery sets

Press - 162 x 5 x 3
    ended up deciding on keeping a bench focus, so I will only be pressing on recovery day for shoulder health. Will continue 2 pound increases, although the last set was tough and I may end up with a top set 2 backoff set approach

Chins (+20lbs) - 5, 5, 5

notes: Nothing much to report, easy recovery day. Excited to hit ID top sets on thurs.

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast