• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    11/28
    TM 9.2
    Recovery Day

Squat - 300 x 5 x 2
    easy. bar just on top of spine of scapula. master cue, bar over mid foot

Press - 150 x 5 x 3
    also felt easy. getting a good bounce with the hip thrust to start the movement

Chins (BW) - 6, 6, 6

notes: Good middle of the week session, i love pressing, i would love to ride this TM all the way to a 185x5 I day press PR.

11/30
    TM 9.3
    Intensity Day

Squat - 390 x 5
    *Got a little loose on the descent of the 5th rep and it was a slow grind. I probably could get 395 for 5 next week but I might take the opportunity to move to 2 triples and continue to add weight for a longer period of time.

Bench - 280 x 5
    *Not quite as hard as the squat set, also could probably add 5 next week however the bench tends to hit a wall quick, so I may also be moving to triples.

DL- 420 x 5, 335 x 5 (SLDL)
    *OK. I do believe this was a limit set of 5. Im 5 pounds off tying a PR so I a m a little bummed that I hit my limit here. Will be moving to a triple next week with 1 back off set of regular DL, no more SLDL. Today I only did 1 drop set of SLDL since the reps were all moving a little slow. My pulls are very volume and frequency sensitive.

notes: I love lifting. Its getting a little heavier though and I am still 2 months away from my meet so I am a little worried...not sure how to go about programming for a meet prep if I hit a wall mid prep cycle. Ideally I will run out triples for 3-5 weeks then move to ~8 weeks of singles, continuing to add weight each time. However, I will be starting with singles much at much higher weights this time around than last years prep if I take off where I leave off after triples.

Video:
    squat - YouTube
    bench - YouTube
    DL - YouTube

12/2
    Conditioning

Airdyne/treadmill intervals
    25 min

12/3
    TM 10.1
    Volume Day

Squat - 360 x 5 x 5
    *nice amount of volume here and it didnt feel too heavy. leaning over early to activate all that posterior is key. and it makes balancing the bar over midfoot easier so the lift is smoother.

Bench - 260 x 5 x 5
    *went with benching instead of overhead pressing. decided to start focusing more on bench as my meet is 2 months away. i will still try to drive up press weights on recovery days

notes: forgot to record the thanksgiving overtime for my staff on payroll so im sure they think i suck. woke up middle of the night realizing that and couldnt go back to sleep. older i get the more i focus on dumb shit at night that keeps me from sleeping.

video:
    squat - YouTube

12/5
    TM 10.2
    Recovery Day

Squat - 305 x 5 x 2

Press - 155 x 5 x 3

Chins (BW) - 6, 6, 6

notes: easy recovery day. had to cover a shift last night so i slept about 1 hour. sucks ass.

12/7
    TM 10.3
    Intensity Day

Squat - 395 x 3 x 2 sets
    *Wanted 5 reps but just too slow today for 5. Its ok to move to triples now for a bit. More total work I guess by one rep.

Bench Press - 285 x 5
    *Was gonna follow suit and just do trips but after 3 I knew I could handle 2 more so I did 5. Still 30 pounds off my all time 5RM

DL - 425 x 3, 365 x 5
    *This would have tied 5RM but I didnt have the cajones today. Drop set done comp style not stiff leg anymore.

notes: Noticing Im not as explosive as when I started at 33. Is it possible to lose power ability in just 6-7 years? Maybe the weights are just a little heavier and they move slower. But im not feeling the pop out of the hole and off the chest like I used to. oh well lucky powerlifting actually has little to do with power.

videos:
    squat - YouTube
    bench - YouTube
    DL - YouTube

Bar speed and control look great on all these lifts. Maybe I missed it scrolling your log, when is your meet?

hey matt, speed looks ok and it would be perfect if my meet was in 1 month, but its not til mid feb. thats why i am a little worried that im gonna hit a wall. i may have to do a slight reset in weights when planning like 6-8 weeks out in order to get to a realistic end point.

12/9
    Conditioning

Airdyne / treadmill
    25 min

starting strength coach development program
    12/10
    TM 11.1
    Volume Day

Squat - 365 x 5 x 5
    *Wew...this one was tough to get through. Had to take 10 minute breaks, 12 for the last set. Was huffing and puffing quite a bit. 4th and 5th reps on all sets were slow but all in all each set was manageable and the last set not much slower than the first, probably thanks to my propensity for slow twitch fibers. I may stay here next week..

Bench Press - 265 x 5 x 5
    *Not half as bad as squats. All reps easy actually. I will definetly be going up to 270 next sunday.

notes: As I mentioned, I probably have a larger proportion of slow twitch as opposed to type II, so volume has always been closer to intensity weights than typically recommended. For example my 5x5 is only about 8% off of my I-day triples. To be honest bench could be even closer to 5% and still be ok. However, I dont want V day to start creeping too high relative to I day bc in the past that has led to too much accumulated fatigue. So I may be repeating 365 for a couple weeks, but ill let bench creep up a little more. Overall good day today, a little under 2 hours.

video:
    squat - YouTube

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast