starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean High Pulls?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    A high pull should look like a failed power clean attempt, where you tried to rack it but failed. You get the bar as high as possible, but it doesnt rack.
    that is only one of at least three different ways to high pull

Method 1: High pull with arm bend, pulling the bar as high as possible
    Method 2: Sometimes called a shrug pull, same but you keep arms locked and just shrug up. This prevents teaching folks to arm pull
    Method 3: After finishing the second pull, you pull your body down (the Chinese do it this way since it better teaches the reversal after the finish of the pull)

And you folks saying 'there's no way to tell if you pulled a high pull high enough' should google 'height gauge'. Not that you youngins should be held responsible for knowing about them: I'm not sure they are used anymore. But the point is that it is more than possible to tell how high you're pulling the bar with one so the argument that high pulls are inferior because of that is wrong. Along with the fact taht you can just as easily catch a powerclean lower (a power clean being defined as anything from about a half squat to standing up). So there's no guarantee of the height of the pull on a powerclean either.

Lyle
    Last edited by lylemcd; 01-26-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    The high pull does not take the same level of "commitment" to finish as the power clean. Think about this for a second. Anyone who has done both will attest to this. This is partially what coldfire is getting at, I think.

Stacey
    And the above matters why? I mean beyond being a bunch of macho chest thumping?
    Last edited by lylemcd; 01-26-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Glad to see someone defending the high pull. When I started this post I thought that they'd be pretty good to work into a program. I've been reading some articles by Bill Starr and he seems to use them quite a bit.
    Last edited by rikkusan; 01-26-2010 at 01:38 PM.

I've been using heavy clean pulls to teach myself not to bend my elbows during power cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
    And the above matters why? I mean beyond being a bunch of macho chest thumping?
    The same reason you go below parallel in the squat. What goal do you acheive using random weights, not measurable power production and progress?

Quote Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
    You can catch a powerclean lower too. Are you stronger or just pulling lower and catching lower to compensate.

question: What's the difference?
    Assuming that the same weight were used in both instances, then the pull that was cleaned and then racked high would require more force to be developed more rapidly. The latter instance (catching it lower) depends on your ability to pull yourself under the bar rapidly and then stand up with the weight on your shoulders. Both variants have relevant training applications. Which you use depends on what you want out of your training.

-S.

Lyle, this was what I was picturing when rikkusan asked about high pulls:

http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...exerciseID=100

The difference between this and a power clean racked high should be obvious.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by rikkusan View Post
    Anyone try incorporating Clean High Pulls into their program as a substitute for Power Cleans?
    This was OP's original question, and if the version of the high pull in question is what I posted in my link, then no it would not be a fair "substitute."

Uncle Buck's purpose for using them seems reasonable in that it's inclusion is meant to better or enhance his actual power clean and not function as a rather poor substitute for it.

-s.

Of course High Pulls wouldn't be as good as actually doing power cleans. What I meant to imply was whether it would be a better substitute than bent-over rows for people who can't/won't do power cleans. Rows get a lot of attention as a sub for power cleans, and I just thought that High Pulls might be a better choice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkusan View Post
    Of course High Pulls wouldn't be as good as actually doing power cleans. What I meant to imply was whether it would be a better substitute than bent-over rows for people who can't/won't do power cleans. Rows get a lot of attention as a sub for power cleans, and I just thought that High Pulls might be a better choice.
    Either way, our hypothetical lifter seems to be going out of his way to find an excuse not to power clean, so it would appear that he has a deeper problem than just his exercise selection.

-S.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast