starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designing Metcons

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Jam - I appreciate the details. Those links help quite a lot. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    If you never read crossfit stuff, to the point that you don't even know the basic terminology of a metcon, how on earth can you decide for yourself whether or not its nonsense?
    I didn't say I've never read any, I've said I make it a point not to read it. As for how you can tell it's nonsense, you can tell by the level of douchebaggery surrounding it.

Well, there are a lot of people on this Forum who used to be pretty heavily involved with CrossFit but that doesn't make them douchebags. I don't know if I would have found out about Mark Rippetoe and how to get strong effectively without CrossFit. Even Rip has said in the past that CrossFit is probably the weightlifting communities best chance at popularity again, and I agree, in the same way that interest in CrossFit gave me the chance to learn a lot about exercise that I didn't know before. Even despite the fact that CrossFit tends to be shooting itself in the foot a bit too much lately and the HQ seems to be too arrogant to admit when they're wrong...

Back to the original topic: how to design conditioning. It depends on what you are conditioning for. If you want to be good at CF, do CF workouts. If you are prepping for football or rugby, then push a sled, flip tires, power clean and deadlift, and do short sprints. If you are doing judo/grappling, do KBs, sandbags, pull-ups, and deadlifts. Anybody is well served by sprinting uphill or doing burpees. Couplets and triplets are your friends, I like to pick exercises that generally work different body parts - combine a posterior chain dominant movement like DLs or KB swings with an upper body thing like push-ups or pull-ups. Or something like front squats and running. This doesn't need to be super strict, since pretty much every worthwhile movement will tax your core, trunk, and leg muscles, but if you are doing some really similar movements in a row like "push sled, deadlift, KB swing" your posterior chain will cut out on you before your cardiovascular system. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since a stronger pos chain is always good, but I do conditioning to get out of breath and I get stronger doing the regular strength training. Pick a weight and number of reps that will get you done in the time you are interested in and gives you the adaption you want. Unless your sport is CF, I wouldn't be super anal about timing everything. If your only goal is to reduce the time, it encourages you to cheat the ROM and the form. You know when you finish if you went fast or not, and the way you see if it is working is if your performance in your sport is increasing. Focusing on a good quality conditioning workout will, in my opinion, lead to a better adaption than chasing a time.

Great information guys.

I'd like to know what conditioning workouts you guys use that have the least impact in your strength training.

-- Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Why not just say "conditioning"? That's what normal humans say, at least.

Because your Conditioning your Metabol. Duh.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Because your Conditioning your Metabol. Duh.
    Is that anything like Dbol?

More seriously, on the subject, I sometimes sprint or throw a medicine ball around (or do both). I don't really have any sport besides barbell training, sometimes I'll play frisbee or baseball/softball/kickball with friends or something, and it's occasionally pleasant to run on the lakefront, so I'm not the best person to ask about conditioning. Conditioning needs to be somewhat specific to the sport you're in. ie, if you're in the military, you need conditioning workouts that will prep you for your 3 mile run or for whatever tasks you will run into, if you're playing football, there is a wealth of literature on S&C for football (I suggest the new 5/3/1 for football book), for sports that depend highly on conditioning (like running), your running/whatever volume probably adequately handles that and Crossfit Endurance is lying to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12