starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sub-1 hour workouts?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Do you mean without another 5 minute warm up or just period (without all the activation that doing the squats, first, yields)?
    What I mean is that I think I would feel like the fatigue has set in from the squats by then.

I've only worked for an employer that cared how long my lunch was once and I didn't like it very much. Whats the point of being salary if you have to worry about the clock?

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    doesn't help me too much though - the point of working out at lunch is that I get to go straight home at the end of the day.
    OK, well, I guess I'd still try to see if you can do the full warm-up and workout (do you already know exactly how much time that takes?) and squeeze time on the getting from your desk to the rower and from the last lift back to your desk - before I'd look at alterations. I once had it set up so that I wore shorts and t-shirt under my work clothes and just needed to strip and change shoes to start, had short hair that didn't need anything done to it after a shower and ate at my desk after "lunch". It still took me over an hour, but that was before I was doing Starting Strength and the gym was a good 15 minutes away (I also had a lot of control over my schedule, but was just trying to minimize my time in the gym as I was usually otherwise quite busy).

I'm a noob to the Starting Strength program, though, so I'm certainly in no position to talk about the implications of changing it up, in any way (though I've gathered that its pretty damn well optimized).

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    I've only worked for an employer that cared how long my lunch was once and I didn't like it very much. Whats the point of being salary if you have to worry about the clock?
    Amen Jamie, two hour lunches ftw.

That being said, if you MUST keep it within an hour. I believe Rip has indicated that you can split the workout over two sessions. It won't kill ya, just seems inconvenient to change and warmup all over again.

If you're close to intermediate programming, the split routine in the back of PPST II takes less than an hour each day.

I'd go with the wichita falls conditioning program if I were in your situation.

You have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Be it staying after work, or splitting up your workouts, etc... You have to figure out what you want to compromise.

Much Luck.

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post
    Yeah I've looked briefly at 5/3/1 before - isn't knowing what weight to use really complicated?
    Not at all - its just based on percentages which isnt that complicated (you need it for anything past TM anyway).

The triviumate design would be your best bet. You keep the rest breaks of your main exercise the same (3-5 minutes) and short for your accessory movements (1-2). Thats already a massive time saver. If you needed to go further I'd either:
    a) Ditch some sets (eg 3x10 lunges rather than 5x10)
    b) Ditch an exercises (eg on bench day ditch the chest supporting exercise and just do pull ups)

Basic scaffold:

Squat day
    5/3/1 Squat
    3x10 Lunges or leg press or hack squats
    3x15 abs

Bench
    5/3/1 Bench
    5x10 dumbbell press/incline press/dips
    5xfailure pull ups

Deadlift
    5/3/1 Deadlift
    either ab work, leg curls or a few sets of powercleans

Press
    5/3/1 press
    3x10 side laterals or 5x10 press @ 50% of your 1RM or dips
    5x10 bent rows or dumbell rows

I made a 5/3/1 spreadsheet in excel. If anyone wants a copy send me a PM with your e-mail address.

If you're going to show up 45 minutes early to get the first part of the workout in and then get the second part at lunch, why not either:

1. Ask your boss if you can come in 45 minutes early and take 1:45 for lunch; or

2. Ask your boss if you can come in late so that you get 1:30 workout in the morning and then no lunch or a short lunch; or

3. go in very early, full workout in the morning, and lunch/nap in the hour you have for lunch?

starting strength coach development program
    How does this sound as an abbreviated program:

(keeping reps x sets as per SS)

Mon: Squat, Press

Wed: Deadlift/Power Cleans (alternating), Bench (DBs)

Friday: Squat, Press

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12