starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More deadlifting in Onus Wunsler

Default More deadlifting in Onus Wunsler

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm currently doing the Onus Wunsler program in SS 2, where workout A looks like the following:

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift / 5x3 Power Cleans (Alternating)

I would like to modify this so that I deadlift 1x5 on every A day. However, I don't want to skip PCs completely.

Based on my limited experience, I'm guessing that a variant using PCs as part of a warmup for the deadlift set would be suitable, but I'm not sure about the number of PC sets and reps. All advice is welcome.

I'm currently on the following weights at 187 cm/95 kg and still progressing linearly on most exercises:
    Squats 110 kg @ 3x5
    PCs 70 kg @ 5x3
    BP 70 kg @ 3x5
    Press 50 kg @ 3x5
    DL 135 kg @ 1x5 (was easy but I try not to be greedy)

Thanks in advance.

If I understand what you are saying, you intend to deadlift twice a week.

This is considered very difficult to recover from. That's why the Onus Wunsler workout is designed to alternate DL/PC. In addition, you seem to suggesting that max-effort power cleans won't affect your deadlift, which is also debatable.

Probably better to go to a 3 workout cycle, with dl/pc/pullups as the third lift.

Thanks for the input.

The reason I'd like to deadlift more is that I don't train for sports performance, which I believe is a strong reason to work on PCs. But PCs presents challenges I don't want to do completely without, which is why I think they could be a good DL warmup if the number of work sets is reduced, while still working PC technique.

I rank my DL progress higher than the PCs. I don't want to slow DL progression unnecessarily, but if slowjoe's recommendations on recovery are shared by other experienced forum members I have no problems following them.

PC training will help your deadlift, too. There's good reason for it to be in there besides "training for sports".

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotor View Post
    but if slowjoe's recommendations on recovery are shared by other experienced forum members I have no problems following them.
    They are. Unless you are a rank beginner (lifting for maybe less than a month) you are going to find it very hard to progress on a heavy set of 5 twice/week. Eventually you'll even cut your once weekly deadlift down to every ten days or two weeks.

Thanks a lot for your help. I admit it's not what I hoped for, but at 38 years old I prefer to stay uninjured.

At 38, def no 2x/week deadlifting unless you just started last week and only plan on doing it for a couple weeks. Not calling you old and decrepit, just calling you not 18.

I was thinking about this the other day. Deadlifting every 5 workouts sucks, deads are so damn fun, it's a shame having to deadlift unfrequently. How about deadlifting say, every monday, powercleans every friday and wednesday for back extensions? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day. Deadlifting every 5 workouts sucks, deads are so damn fun, it's a shame having to deadlift unfrequently. How about deadlifting say, every monday, powercleans every friday and wednesday for back extensions? Any thoughts?
    You can d/l light any time you want.

Are you talking about adding this to a SS-type program with sets across of squats? That's what I did last week, and fucked my arms up.
    Last edited by slowjoe; 09-02-2010 at 12:32 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Let's say it's Monday and you just deadlifted.
    If you are doing the original novice program, your next deadlift is on Friday.
    If you are doing the Onus Wunsler program, your next deadlift is next week's Wednesday.

What I'm suggesting is just doing deads every Monday, which is compromise between the two aforementioned programs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast