starting strength gym
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: can an oly lifting program be used during a cut?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You should check out this guy, I've followed his nutrition plan for a couple of weeks and I've lost fat and gained muscle. He himself is proof of concept, just browse and see his pictures floating around then find out he still "cut" and made his DL get up to 650#.

http://www.leangains.com/

Looks at his Most Popular tab, and read a few articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Antendo View Post
    You should check out this guy, I've followed his nutrition plan for a couple of weeks and I've lost fat and gained muscle. He himself is proof of concept, just browse and see his pictures floating around then find out he still "cut" and made his DL get up to 650#.

http://www.leangains.com/

Looks at his Most Popular tab, and read a few articles.
    Meh, IF'ing feels too much like dieting. You're bound to lose strength that way...

but he recommends BCAA's too... so... it's good shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Meh, IF'ing feels too much like dieting. You're bound to lose strength that way...

but he recommends BCAA's too... so... it's good shit.
    That doesn't make much sense, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    That doesn't make much sense, buddy.
    What doesn't?

In my experience with maintaining/losing weight, if you're not eating crap and you're lifting high % weights (the strength maintanence part) several times a week it's virtually impossible to eat a caloric surplus. I ran the numbers on fitday a while back and I was eating just over 2 lbs of meat and as many veggies as I could stomach, and was still running a moderate (500-1000) caloric deficit. And I'm only 5'11 and 200, so I'd imagine if you're even bigger the deficit would scale.

Also, I haven't personally tried IF, but I've read all of Martin's supporting science, and it lines up. Robb Wold and several other legit nutrition sources respect his work, and he advocates training Pavel style. It looks like a smart way to do it, I just don't have the schedule to pull that off (or the overwhelming desire to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedsnipe View Post
    In my experience with maintaining/losing weight, if you're not eating crap and you're lifting high % weights (the strength maintanence part) several times a week it's virtually impossible to eat a caloric surplus. I ran the numbers on fitday a while back and I was eating just over 2 lbs of meat and as many veggies as I could stomach, and was still running a moderate (500-1000) caloric deficit. And I'm only 5'11 and 200, so I'd imagine if you're even bigger the deficit would scale.

Also, I haven't personally tried IF, but I've read all of Martin's supporting science, and it lines up. Robb Wold and several other legit nutrition sources respect his work, and he advocates training Pavel style. It looks like a smart way to do it, I just don't have the schedule to pull that off (or the overwhelming desire to do so).
    But keep in mind that lean gains is mostly for BB'ers who want to get shredded to a very low body fat. This may not be OP's goal, so an extreme approach like that might not be the best since it will definitely interfere with strength gains. But if that's what OP wants than go ahead, it sounds like it works!

What doesn't?
    I'm not gonna discuss the BCAA part, but just because you fast for 12-14 hours doesn't mean you'll lose strength or anything. If you want to lose a lot of fat sure, but you can probably adapt the diet to gain muscle with reduced fat, instead of gaining little muscle and losing fat.

The fasting part is not the only part, you do calorie and carb cycling too. His diet fits well on our style of training since his diet revolves around you lifting 3x/week. He likes SS and Rip too, so I guess he's cool.

I'm not gonna discuss the BCAA part, but just because you fast for 12-14 hours doesn't mean you'll lose strength or anything. If you want to lose a lot of fat sure, but you can probably adapt the diet to gain muscle with reduced fat, instead of gaining little muscle and losing fat.

The fasting part is not the only part, you do calorie and carb cycling too. His diet fits well on our style of training since his diet revolves around you lifting 3x/week. He likes SS and Rip too, so I guess he's cool.
    Got you. But personally all this diet shit doesn't work too well for me. It stresses me out and it fucks with my performance. I'm never counting calories or carbs in my life ever again.

Got you. But personally all this diet shit doesn't work too well for me. It stresses me out and it fucks with my performance. I'm never counting calories or carbs in my life ever again.
    I know it's aggravating to count stuff but it gets easy if you only eat beef, eggs, milk and potatoes and the eventual rice and candy. I too have not had pleasant experiences with dieting, but I am (was, actually, lost 8 pounds of fat in the last three weeks) too chubby for my own taste and I had to do something about it.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 02-18-2011 at 07:19 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I know it's aggravating to count stuff but it gets easy if you only eat beef, eggs, milk and potatoes and the eventual rice and candy. I too have not had pleasant experiences with dieting, but I am (was, actually, lost 8 pounds of fat in the last three weeks) too chubby for my own taste and I had to do something about it.
    I just looked in the mirror a few minutes ago and I was like holy shit, are those abs? I can see a very faint outline of them. It's working for me, and I'm still eating pasta and soda hehe. Can't wait till I weight myself monday. If I'm lucky I'll get to 12% bodyfat this way, doubt I can get any further, but that's fine with me. All I want is to not have a bulge in my shirt.

Seriously, fuck dieting. I was paleo for a whole year and it really messed me up. I was constantly thinking about IF, carbs, insulin spikes, etc. Like real OCD.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast