starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate Programming - Texas Method vs Madcows 5x5

Default Intermediate Programming - Texas Method vs Madcows 5x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Pros/Cons & Similarities/Differences? Which is better, and why?

I have had a bit of experience with both and for me, I responded to the TM much better.

If you truly are an intermediate and have milked all you can from novice gains then essentially you can move to a program where you make week by week progress instead of workout to workout. In the Madcow 5x5 your volume is distributed over the week. So you are gonna have a couple of heavy sets that are at least around 85% your 5RM twice a week on the heavy and medium days. Is that enough to cause a disruption of homeostasis and lead to an adaptation? My experience was that it wasn't enough, especially with the upper body lifts like bench. The stressor in the Madcow is supposed to be the Heavy triple on Friday followed by a backoff set of 8 at the 3rd sets weight. For example a heavy squat triple at 325 followed by a set of 8 at 260. Maybe that is enough to cause an adaptation for the following Monday where you turn that triple to your top set of 5. In my experience it wasn't. One solution I thought of was whave the stressor day in the beginning of the week, followed by the light day then the attempt for a new 5RM on Friday. But then thats essentially what the Texas Method is. So after 2 months of experience on the Madcow Program I have decided to go back to TM.

Madcow
    Pros:
    - Volume is spread out over the week so if you don't do well with a high volume day then it can help
    - The ramping sets might make it easier and more productive for people who can't handle sets across
    - If you have a little bit of novice LP left it might get you an extra 20 pounds on your lifts since the frequency of the 5RMs is reduced in comparison to SS

Cons:
    - Might not be enough volume to stress and cause an adaptation. You could add more top end triples and more backoff sets but in my experience it wasn't much help
    - Workout tend to be a little longer, especially in a busy gym it can take up to an hour and a half-2 hours.
    - The deadlifting on the light day could interfere with recovery for the next session, I just ended up moving it to the heavy day in my training

TM
    Pros:
    - Can train the upper body lifts evenly (press and bench)
    - Recovery day actually helps you recover, you end up feeling better and fresher after than you did before
    - Enough rest programmed in after the volume day that you can usually hit your target on intensity days
    - Recovery and Intensity days are much shorter, can be done in under an hour
    - Each start of a training week you feel pretty fresh and ready for volume day since Intensity day had low volume and you get 2 days off to fully recover from the week
    - Once you understand the Volume and Intensity relationship well enough and get to know how your body responds you can drop some sets and reps and still make pretty good progress.

Cons:
    - Volume day is a motherfucker.
    - For some people the heavy sets across are just tough to recover from

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. Would love to hear other insights from people on this board as well.

Also if you decide to do TM I'd recommend getting the 70s Big ebook. I was kinda iffy at first because of the price but it is actually really useful and cleared up some things for me.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'd have to see if the 5x5 sets across would be too much. I have one for Madcows, but is there a good spreadsheet for Texas Method?

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Also if you decide to do TM I'd recommend getting the 70s Big ebook. I was kinda iffy at first because of the price but it is actually really useful and cleared up some things for me.
    What does it entail?

I haven't seen any spreadsheet for the TM.
    I think these two links are essentially an excerpt from the ebook:

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/01/t...method-part-1/
    http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/01/texas-method-part-2/

The book has lots of examples of tweaking the program and common pitfalls and how to correct them. It goes into how to transition your lifts from an LP to a TM template, how much weight to start with, when to increase the volume day and by how much. How you can change the volume and intensity relationship to suit your specific training situation, and then there is a good 27 or so pages about how to tweak the program to fit sub goals like 'getting swole' or to program some conditioning into it. The Intermediate chapter in PP should be enough to get started but I think the ebook helped me clear up lots of things like how you can hold volume day steady for a few weeks while still increasing your Intensity day target. I made the mistake of upping both by 5 pounds a week and the spread between my the volume day and the 5RM was only 25 pounds. It probably led me to burning myself out in the 13 weeks I first ran it.

This is the only one I could find...

http://startingstrength.com/resource...od+spreadsheet

I think I'm going to do Madcows for now until I stall, Texas Method seems a bit complicated.

Now just need to decide on doing cleans vs rows.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post

I think I'm going to do Madcows for now until I stall, Texas Method seems a bit complicated.

Do cleans, then do one arm DB rows on wednesday, or chins 2-3 times a week. Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeatank View Post
    Do cleans, then do one arm DB rows on wednesday, or chins 2-3 times a week. Profit.
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing 3x10 DB rows, 3x10 chins, 3x10 pullups for Wednesdays assistance.

The TM isn't complicated. It's described pretty well in both Practical Programming and on many threads in this site. There are also quite a few templates out there that you could use.

Plus, the idea behind the Texas method makes a lot of sense and has been working for me pretty well for the past 8 weeks. I'd say give it a shot.

Power Cleans are awesome.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing 3x10 DB rows, 3x10 chins, 3x10 pullups for Wednesdays assistance.
    Ahh, I would do 3x8 DB rows on wednesday, add a rep each week till you hit 10 then increase 5 lbs.

Also, I would treat chins like any other compound. If you can do 3x5 BW, then start doing weighted chins. At 3x3 then work back up to 3x5 at that weight, then add 2.5 lbs each workout. On monday and friday.

I don't know about pull-ups though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast