starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions about pulling.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yeah lately I've been finding out that as the weight is getting tougher, the biggest challenge isn't in the lumbars or PC, but rather the lats, keeping the bar in.

Is 3x8 3 sets of 8?

Your uneven bar drift is something that you'll just have to consciously concentrate on keeping symmetrical, it's not much different than when someone benches unevenly, they just have to go slowly and focus.

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    I tend to injure on the deadlift on the way down
    This should never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    This should never happen.
    I completely agree- but not sure what you are getting at- are you suggesting that its more likely to injure oneself during the concentric phase?

and yeah to your point about bar drift- every time something goes wrong its a matter of focus- not weight- I literally space out- or worse, like last time, have some overconfident thought like " this is going to be easier than I thought,, pop!
    Last edited by JM3; 07-22-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    I completely agree- but not sure what you are getting at- are you suggesting that its more likely to injure oneself during the concentric phase?
    Yes, what I'm saying is that if you know how to properly lower the bar, there is like a 0% chance that you will injure yourself while lowering it. And given that, it would follow that, yes, you would be more likely to injure yourself during the concentric.

starting strength coach development program
    Knowing how to do something properly and doing it properly every time is more the issue.

But I think I have to disagree with that in theory as well- as I understand it- most injuries on lifts occur during the eccentric portion of the movement (please correct me if Im wrong- fuzzy memory from the books)
    And during the deadlift in particular, I would think anyone would be more at risk during eccentric rather than concentric portion because of the way one fails at Deadlifting- the bar simply doesnt come up and you drop it/let go
    But if you are on your way down there are more variables- a mistake in timing (I suspect) would have a greater potential - In my case thats when Its much tougher to keep the bar grazing my thighs. Not to drift into the arcane- but I was curious as to your reasoning on that.

Ill be thinking of this as I deadlift today. wish me luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12