starting strength gym
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: today's post on 70sbig

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I take about one hour for ID squat. I really don't know why.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 02-01-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: can't type right

He still hasn't told us how much he squats.

he's currently updating the ebook (i think), which maybe will have a different approach to volume day. As a coach, I'm sure he's constantly reworking what works for his clients...maybe since the book he has realized less sets on monday works better for the people he coaches so he is rethinking the standard TM. Books are only as new as their date of publishing. I respect a coach that evolves his methods. Hell a person who owns SSBBT2 might be confused when rip talks about how he teaches the press, since that has obviously changed.

I squat like I (used to) drink: alone.

But from day #1 I've modulated my rest periods to the minimum.

In 3x5 days it was 7' tops on squats or dead lifts, 5' on bench, press, or chins.

Since doing TM it's been 3' between 5x5 sets and 5' tops on intensity days. And I do 5x5 deads. My 5x5 is set at 85% of my last week's intensity day.

I refuse to believe that I'm some kind of special mutant with super-recovery powers. If an old fart like me can do it, y'all can. I'm nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    I squat twice a week. That's how much.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Srsly, I actually squat on Mondays heavy enough that I'm either pushing for a new PR at one set of five reps, or shooting for 6+ reps at my old max for one set of five reps.

Then on Thursdays I squat 5x5 at 85% of what I hit on Monday.

Why do you care how much I squat?

What number do you want to see before you're willing to sniff my jockstrap?

ETA: don't bother answering, you've joined the ignore list.
    Last edited by algunos hombre; 02-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Regardless of whether it's a PR, squatting 220lbs is a far different proposition to squatting 400lbs.

If it smells like "------"...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    ^^^ This.

He has mentioned not programming 5x5 on the presses but in the book The Texas Method by Justin Lascek, (supposedly the same person who wrote that post today on 70's big linking to the book) 5x5 is basis of the program for squatting. He talks about moving to 8 sets of 3 reps (because in the book he says you need volume, so it's 24 reps) but you do that after 5x5 has been exhausted and that could take a very long time to get there.

A couple of weeks ago he mentioned in a post that 3x5 was "the ideal" (or goal) for the TM which I thought was bizarre and questioned him but he didn't answer.

@some guy: I've squatted 5x5 with at least 15 different people in the last year and none of them took 3 minute rests-- 5+ is the norm. Some were young, some were old, some were men, some were women, some did 150 pounds some did 405 (for 5x5) but none of them completed it in 20 minutes. Sure it's lighter than your old 3x5 weight but you are doing FIVE sets. And besides, you don't just keep the weight the same forever-- it gets heavier. My 5x5 is heavier than my 3x5 ever was on the LP. When I reset maybe I'll take 3-4 minutes between some sets.

The only squat workout I've ever done in 20 minutes as Lascek suggests is Intensity day. It's one set. I don't know what's up with this post, but its wonky.
    Thanks for all the detail, Rob. I agree with your conclusion - it's wonky. Several typos and such in there, too. Weird.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    He has mentioned not programming 5x5 on the presses but in the book The Texas Method by Justin Lascek, (supposedly the same person who wrote that post today on 70's big linking to the book) 5x5 is basis of the program for squatting. He talks about moving to 8 sets of 3 reps (because in the book he says you need volume, so it's 24 reps) but you do that after 5x5 has been exhausted and that could take a very long time to get there.
    Thanks. I thought it would be pretty weird for the guy to write a book on the Texas Method that describes a version different from how everyone else thinks of the Texas Method.

Brian Richard, I feel you on the whole evolving methods thing. But what throws me is that in the sentence in today's post where he throws 5x5 out the window, he links to the very book which our man Robby says is built on the 5x5. Wut.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast