starting strength gym

Thread: Dan John's One Lift a Day

Default Dan John's One Lift a Day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently read Never Let Go while doing some traveling. There's some good stuff in there, even if it is a bit scattered what with being a compilation of essays.

I'm especially intrigued by the simplicity of the One Lift a Day idea. It's like 5-3-1 without all the numbers. I'm considering doing it after I get my lifts up a bit. I would probably modify it to be more like One Movement a Day. Something like this:

Squat Day -- Move from OHS to FS to BS as the bar gets heavier.
    Bench Day -- Bench and maybe some dips or pushups afterward.
    Pull Day -- Move from snatches to cleans to deadlifts as the bar gets heavier.
    Press Day -- Move from press to push press to BTNPP or jerks as the bar gets heavier.
    Pull-ups Day -- Do a shitload of pull-ups and chin-ups. Start weighted and move to BW.

I would probably do a more thorough warm-up than I do now. Maybe some light, low volume goblet squats, swings, chins, pullups, pushups, and presses so all the major movements are getting greased a bit everyday.

Has anyone done something like this?
    Any reason this wouldn't work for a while?
    How would you manipulate sets and reps to keep progress going?
    How would you order the days?
    Would it be more feasible to have only one push day per week, maybe alternating between the press day and the bench day?

Looks like fun...

My partner did it after a shoulder injury and was also doing the paleo diet. He lost 20lbs in 40 days, his bench before he started it was 380, after losing the weight and doing the DJ routine it went back up to 395. Now he does about two of them per year.

I recently read it to and was curious about the program but put off by the lack of numbers. I like the OHS/FS/BS and Sn/Cl/DL progression idea though. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Joe Williams; 03-22-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: clarity

Oldster, good stuff. Joe, will do, although it'll probably be quite a while before I give this a shot.