• starting strength seminar december 2024
    First off, just to get it out of the way:

Age - 21 Weight - 163 lbs
    Squats - 235
    Bench - 160
    Press - 100
    Deadlift - 205
    Power cleans - 125

Now to the goodies. I had some shoulder pain from what I was guessing was a combination of bench and OHP. With overhead, the pain would be present when racking the bar after a set and it would feel like deep inside the shoulders. After I started squatting down into the hooks, the pain doesn't show up. I thought it was mainly OHP, but after not having any pain from squatting the bar into the hooks and not doing bench, the pain went away. Well, Tuesday night, I had bench and things were fine until the second set. It doesn't hurt while I'm benching, just after and it's lingering.

Now, this pain is on the anterior side of both my shoulders, almost directly in the middle, about right where I'm thinking the humeral head is, below the acromion and whatever is in front of it. Dial up is really making research a pain in the ass. I watched for my elbows flaring, seemed to be under control, so I'm not quite sure what it is. Any suggestions on how to proceed with lifting?

Also as a side note since I don't want to start another thread, if you don't mind answering, what could be up with my deadlift? I don't squat high for sure, too low sometimes. Since I first started Feb/11, I've had 10 months of actual lifting, accounting for 2 3-month bitch-breaks. I'd think it should have caught up by now but I've never really failed on squats and more than 5lb jump on DLs feels like too much - my lower back is rounding a tad at 200+.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention I'm 5'6". Next day update, it may be rotator cuff crap. I'll either stop benching or drop to 135 unless you guys recommend differently

My guess is that your form is messed up on both lifts. Post a video of both to Rip.