starting strength gym

Thread: quick question on presses on texas method

Default quick question on presses on texas method

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just started the texas method and am wondering if I should be micro loading them (2.5 pounds)on volume day and intensity day? For intensity i was going to try following your recommendation of doing 5's- 2 triples- 3 doubles-5 singles-peak with 1rm's then back to 5's for all of the lifts. Hoping this will work for all the lifts.

No, I wouldn't microload at the beginning of the program

Andy,

I'm confused here. If you finish LP microloading presses and reset a couple times due to stalling, then transition into TM, you should INCREASE your rate of progression by not microloading? I would assume most people would fail to keep up that rate of progression.

I thought one of the main purposes of switching to more advanced programming is to allow slower progress over time and not fail. I did not think the change to vol/int setup would cause that much of a faster/greater adaptation.

Or are you saying to just keep putting more weight on regardless of if you are getting 5's? If that is the case, how do you measure progress if the rep scheme is changing so quickly that you don't progress one rep scheme for very long?

Thanks

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by konkoba98 View Post
    Andy,

I'm confused here. If you finish LP microloading presses and reset a couple times due to stalling, then transition into TM, you should INCREASE your rate of progression by not microloading? I would assume most people would fail to keep up that rate of progression.

I thought one of the main purposes of switching to more advanced programming is to allow slower progress over time and not fail. I did not think the change to vol/int setup would cause that much of a faster/greater adaptation.

Or are you saying to just keep putting more weight on regardless of if you are getting 5's? If that is the case, how do you measure progress if the rep scheme is changing so quickly that you don't progress one rep scheme for very long?

Thanks

Colin
    I am also confused by parts of your question. Sorry long day at work, brain fried.

One of the reasons I don't microload at the beginning of the TM is because I often start the trainees with a little bit of a deload from where they left off on their LP.....I never microload after deloading and working my way back up to PR territory. I didn't clarify that in my response to Eric, but should have.

To the latter part of your question.....switching up rep schemes on intensity day is often a good thing. It keeps things mentally and physically fresh, and progress must be looked at over larger chunks of time, since yes, you aren't progressing on the same number of reps every week.
    Last edited by Andy Baker (KSC); 04-03-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Left a word out