starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlifting every session? 2 days per week?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Okay, thanks for the advice.

I'll let you know how things work out.

I have one question, about the cardio.

What form of cardio should I do? Walking at first, but should I try adding hills? Jogging? Sprinting? Stairs?
    (I can probably sneak in 20 minutes of walking and stairs while at work in addition to the pre-breakfast cardio)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    If the choice were mine, which it is not, I think your primary focus should be getting 200 lbs off fast. That doesn't mean you don't strength train, but I wouldn't hedge on cardio/diet because you are worried about interference with your lifts.

I'm not the expert nutrition guy but I would do something along the lines of Lyle McDonalds Rapid Fat Loss diet.

I would lift on Sunday and Thursday and do cardio 6 days per week. You need one day of complete rest, so that means cardio will also be done on lifting days. For cardio, I would build up to 1 hour, or 45 minutes if that is all you have time for. Ideally you will do this first thing in the morning prior to eating.

Schedule:

Monday - 45 mins cardio
    Tues - 45 mins cardio
    Weds - Off
    Thurs - Lift 90 minutes, 30 minutes sled drag
    Friday - 45 mins cardio
    Saturday - 45 mins cardio
    Sunday - Lift 90 minutes, 30 minutes sled drag

You may have to build up to this, and if a different day works out better as an off day that is fine. It doesn't matter. For lifting I would just squat/press/deadlift/pull (upperbody) on every training day. Do some weight but this isn't an LP. Diet and cardio may not support that. Just maintain 3-5 sets of 5 with about 3 minutes rest between sets. Whatever weight you can handle for that.
    Be careful with too much cardio on RFL, I think Lyle warns about that at some length.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmThing View Post
    Okay, thanks for the advice.

I'll let you know how things work out.

I have one question, about the cardio.

What form of cardio should I do? Walking at first, but should I try adding hills? Jogging? Sprinting? Stairs?
    (I can probably sneak in 20 minutes of walking and stairs while at work in addition to the pre-breakfast cardio)
    I like power walking on an inclined treadmill. Keep the speed moderate and work on cranking up the incline as high as possible over time. Once you get the incline all the way up then you can increase speed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Be careful with too much cardio on RFL, I think Lyle warns about that at some length.
    Yes, for the guy trying to lose 30 lbs this is true. For the guy trying to lose 200 lbs, he needs to go all out. I've never seen any other approach work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12