starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ufc 175

Default Ufc 175

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Pissed about Mitrione/Struve being cancelled at last minute, but the card was redeemed with two good title fights.

In general, I'm not a fan of women's MMA, but no denying that Rousey is a beast. Her Judo is impressive, textbook throws. And her power is improving. Two KOs in a row.

My mind wasn't made up about Weidman until tonight. Even though he dominated Silva in both his victories, both wins were under such strange circumstances that it was hard to give him his due. Prior to that his two major wins were against an undersized Damien Maia and one of the least technical strikers in the UFC in Mark Munoz. Tonight Weidman looked well rounded and showed a good chin. He ate a lot of decent shots from Machida and kept pressing.

Machida looked good tonight too, but as usual left me wishing he would have been more aggressive earlier in the fight.

Looks like Vitor is up next for the title shot (great fight). Machida is still top 5 at MW though. I can see him matching up with Luke Rockhold or Jacare. Although he and Jacare may be partners (?) and those guys usually won't fight each other.

MW was a shitty division there for several years, but it's coming around now as a stacked wt class. The entrance of Machida and the Strikeforce guys (Rockhold, Kennedy, Jacare) have made things much more competitive

Ronda's judo might be my single favorite thing to watch in MMA right now. So exciting and powerful.

I'm not sure a non-TRT Vitor will stand much of a chance against Weidman. Anything can happen in the first round, but if it gets past the first 5, I think Weidman will be able to dominate as a fight-worn Vitor will begin to tire. Weidman dealt with some serious adversity last night against a very game Machida, but I think he proved that he was absolutely for real and should hopefully silence all the doubters.

Machida vs. Rockhold would be a great fight.

Looking forward to the TUF Finale tonight too. We'll see if BJ Penn still has it as he fights Edgar for the third time.

weidman looked great in those first 3 rounds.

the 4th was a real test of his metal and the 5th showed he is a true champion.

he turned into a star that night, he will have many more fans come monday.

i think it also gives some insight into how a fight between machida and anderson may have played out. i think machida could have done quite well.

i wasn't pleased about struve mitrione but its such a lower level of mma compared to what machida and weidman put on.

rousey is legit, i think only holly holme can offer a legit challenge to her as she is vastly better standing than rousey.

how tough is hall!!!!

also i think caseres did way better than he should have against faber, he was bettering him on the feet and had good answers for the most part in the clinch.

Yeah I read Struve almost fainted in his locker room, and he's been out because of a heart problem for like a year, hope he's allright.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Ronda's judo might be my single favorite thing to watch in MMA right now. So exciting and powerful.

I'm not sure a non-TRT Vitor will stand much of a chance against Weidman. Anything can happen in the first round, but if it gets past the first 5, I think Weidman will be able to dominate as a fight-worn Vitor will begin to tire. Weidman dealt with some serious adversity last night against a very game Machida, but I think he proved that he was absolutely for real and should hopefully silence all the doubters.

Machida vs. Rockhold would be a great fight.

Looking forward to the TUF Finale tonight too. We'll see if BJ Penn still has it as he fights Edgar for the third time.
    Agreed. A less chemically enhanced Vitor is not the same guy in his late 30s. In the early rounds though he always has a chance. Machida had his best success when he pressed Weidman. Hopefully Vitor will do the same, I'd like to see one of the old guard take a title in the modern era.

I don't have a lot of hope for BJ tonight. He hasn't fought a good fight since he fought a washed up Matt Hughes years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ashbak View Post
    Yeah I read Struve almost fainted in his locker room, and he's been out because of a heart problem for like a year, hope he's allright.
    Agreed the cancellation of the fight probably a good idea. Having a guy die in the middle of the Octagon wouldn't be good for the sport (or for Struve). If I'm The brass at UFC I'd be very hesitant to let him back in the cage.

Yeah, and its too bad, such a great talent. Wish he would get with a better camp though, he was never good at using that great reach of his. Its weird because he's in Holland, the greatest kickboxing nation in the world, why not go and learn how to fight tall from Semmy Schilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Agreed the cancellation of the fight probably a good idea. Having a guy die in the middle of the Octagon wouldn't be good for the sport (or for Struve). If I'm The brass at UFC I'd be very hesitant to let him back in the cage.
    Yes. As bad as I felt for Struve, I'm just grateful someting didn't happen in the Octagon. That would have been bad for everyone involved, and potentially a big blow to the sport.

Speaking of old guard, it's baffling to think that arguably the greatest <155 fighter of all time hasn't won a fight in 5 years (minus the Hughes KO). I think Edgar will outpoint him... but I'm hoping it's competitive and not an obvious 50-45.

Smile

As Weidman is such a big middle weight who struggles with the weight cut I would like to see him fight a fresh champion rather than an old one and Jon Jones would be perfect.

Judo is massive in our house old so its great to see Ronda doing so well in the UFC

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    i think he will look worse than he did before he got on trt. if for no other reason than mental. he will feel deep down inside that he performed the way he did last year because of trt. he will have a tiny bit of self doubt and weidman has zero self doubt.

i have weidman by however he feels like in that fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast