starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any drawbacks to one lift per day version of TM?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballad View Post
    I had the idea of combining ID and VD lastnight and after reviewing PPST3 it's actually a variation discussed in the book, the one-lift-per-day method. I'm wondering if there are any particular drawbacks to this method? The only negative mentioned in the book is that it _may_ not provide enough stimulus to produce progress, so basically as long as it's enough to spur progress for me in particular there's nothing wrong?
    Try it and see. I've used one lift per day at Jordan's advice without accessory to accommodate a very busy schedule. It was either one lift or nothing due to life circumstances. You may not progress much but it's better than regressing due to skipping workouts altogether because they're too time limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    Do you have any sample numbers to go with this workout?

Day 1: Int Press, Vol Bench
    Day 2: Int DL, Vol Squat
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Int Bench, Vol Press
    Day 5: Int Squat, Vol DL

It looks interesting

Thanks
    From last week:
    Day 1: Press: 165 1x3, Bench: 210 5x5
    Day 2: DL: 360 1x3, Squat: 245 5x5
    Day 4: Bench: 260 1x3, Press: 137.5 5x5
    Day 5: Squat: 310 1x3, DL: 285 5x3

For assistance do chins or DB rows on upper days and abs on lower days for high reps. Alternatively, you can do the assistance on your rest days.

I came up with this program after doing 5/3/1 for a while and reading about the Texas Method. I feel it combines the good parts of the 2 programs while removing some of the bad parts.

The weight progression is like the Texas Method: 5# increase every week for SQ/DL and 2.5# for Press/Bench intensity sets. The key is to make the volume adequate to drive progress while not enough to burn you out. I find that 5 min rest periods between the volume sets and being conservative for DL volume sets works well. Don't increase the volume set weights until you complete them with near perfect form and your goal should be to never need a reset of your volume weights.
    Last edited by Notrhwoods; 11-17-2014 at 04:01 PM.

That program you just outlined is also just called a 4 day TM split and it's gone over in Practical Programing.

I run the same program but I do Power cleans 5x3 after intensity squat instead of volume deadlift. I'm thinking the power cleans are easier to recover drop compared to deads twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by jayshort21 View Post
    That program you just outlined is also just called a 4 day TM split and it's gone over in Practical Programing.

I run the same program but I do Power cleans 5x3 after intensity squat instead of volume deadlift. I'm thinking the power cleans are easier to recover drop compared to deads twice a week.
    I am getting PPST3 for Christmas and am excited to read up on this in more detail. I agree that volume deadlifts are tricky. I have more of a powerlifting focus and never really felt like power cleans benefited me much, thus the volume deadlifts.

A few ways that I have found to not burn out on volume deadlifts are: only use DOH grip, no belt, limit reps to 3 or less, don't increase the weight unless your back remains perfectly straight.

The last trick I have recently discovered is pull sumo when you are worried about too much low back stress because your torso is more upright with sumo.

Cool, glad it's working for you. Hope you keep up the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    Agreed. I have been lifting in the AM four days/week on an upper/lower split. Now that it is cold out, I am going to add 2 more days and do my GPP (chins, abs, curls, and conditioning) on those 2 extra days.

To the OP: I did the one lift per day program for a couple months and I am now doing a split that looks like:
    Day 1: Int Press, Vol Bench
    Day 2: Int DL, Vol Squat
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Int Bench, Vol Press
    Day 5: Int Squat, Vol DL

About the only pro of the 1 lift per day program is that the workout can go quicker because you only have to warm up for one lift. If you have severe time limits or you are so strong that you can only squat once per week, then it might be the best option.

On a split like I am doing you hit each lift twice a week which is great for mastering technique. The workouts take slightly longer because of the warm up and set up for the second lift. Because of the upper/lower nature of the program the warm up for the second lift should be minimal and you will only hit the low back hard twice per week.
    I've been following the texas method hybrid for olympic lifting, wich has you press 5x5 on monday and 5 singles on friday and I have been thinking how I could bring back bench pressing. Do you think this could be doable when you're also doing snatches and jerks two days a week? Also I would be doing the pressing after my squats. Maybe it would be better to reduce to volume to 3x5 because you're also doing the other pressing movement in the same workout?
    Last edited by RobinVdBroecke; 11-25-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinVdBroecke View Post
    I've been following the texas method hybrid for olympic lifting, wich has you press 5x5 on monday and 5 singles on friday and I have been thinking how I could bring back bench pressing. Do you think this could be doable when you're also doing snatches and jerks two days a week? Also I would be doing the pressing after my squats. Maybe it would be better to reduce to volume to 3x5 because you're also doing the other pressing movement in the same workout?
    I have never done a snatch or a jerk before so I am not sure how stressful those are on your upper body joints. I can tell you that benching a 5x5, benching a 1x3-5, pressing 5x5, and pressing a 1x3-5 week after week is hard on my joints. I had to take it easy this week because I have a pretty bad case of elbow tendonitis right now. FWIW, I am 27 yo and I posted my recent maxes earlier in this thread.

If you are not over-stressing your joints, added bench volume can only help your press singles.

Catching and holding heavy weights overhead can be stressing to the joints, certainly for people with les than healthy rotator cuffs and balanced/mobile shoulders.

I feel I am getting close to a stall on the singles now, so I was planning on trying 5RM's on intensity day in a couple of weeks. I think I'm going to try the pressing and benching together, but will stick to 3x5 for volume and see what that brings.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess the downside is that I'm doing bench volume on friday and intensity on sunday. I'll see how that gows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12