starting strength gym

Thread: Split workouts if necessary?

Default Split workouts if necessary?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    With a busy gym, there are times where I may not get to the third lift. If I manage to finish the squat and press (for example) during my lunch hour, is it effective to come back after work and finish with the deadlift? Assume I'd have to warm up.

(I mistakenly posted this in the Geezer forum, but thought it would make more sense here. If not, let me know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    With a busy gym, there are times where I may not get to the third lift. If I manage to finish the squat and press (for example) during my lunch hour, is it effective to come back after work and finish with the deadlift? Assume I'd have to warm up.
    The only problem I see is the "if necessary" part. You will likely get troubles selecting your load in split vs non-split workouts. E.g., if you got your reps in a split work-out, it doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to do the same in the next, non-split workout, more so to increase the weight.

If split workouts are rare, I'd probably just won't increase weight after them for the next (non-split) workout. If non-split workouts are rare I'd use exact weight from previous split workout, or rather split them as well. Most tricky to program is random 50/50 distribution.

From the POV of progress, splitting all the workouts is probably the best option, me thinks.

Those are very helpful thoughts. I hadn't considered the effect on load increase. Thanks.

Once you get past the novice progression you should strongly consider doing split workouts. I do a split with four 60-90 min workouts a week and if I tried to cram that into 3 sessions it would leave me with at least one 2+ hour workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    Once you get past the novice progression you should strongly consider doing split workouts. I do a split with four 60-90 min workouts a week and if I tried to cram that into 3 sessions it would leave me with at least one 2+ hour workout.
    So what is your actual workout schedule. I'm not sure I understand, and I'd like to. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    So what is your actual workout schedule. I'm not sure I understand, and I'd like to. Thanks.
    I'm currently transitioning into a powerlifting focused program that looks like:
    Mon: Squat 5x5, Good Mornings 3x8, Abs 3x8
    Tues: Bench 5x5, DB Row 4x10, Dips 3x8, BB Curls 3x12 (superset benches with rows and dips with curls)
    Thur: Squat 1x3-5, DL 5x3
    Fri: Bench 1x3-5, Press 5x8, Chins 5xAMRAP (superset press and chins)

It is a texas method type 4-day split with a powerlifting focus. I haven't got PPST3 (hoping for x-mas) yet so I am not sure what the official recommendation from Andy is.

A common split program for general strength that I have used in the past and have seen recommended around here is:

Mon: Press 1x3-5, Bench 5x5 (do some type of rowing/chin up assistance on Mon/Thurs)
    Tues: Squat 1x3-5, PC 5x3 (you can do an alternative DL assistance exercise here)
    Thur: Bench 1x3-5, Press 5x5
    Fri: DL 1x3-5, Squat 5x5

Thank you very much.

starting strength coach development program
    I do splits most days because gym is in the office and I cant fit it in all during the lunch hour. I don't think it helps put more weight on the bar, except when you split something like deadlift/squat or press/bench on the same day. In that case it does help quite a bit. I don't see any performance increase splitting squat/bench.