starting strength gym

Thread: More aggressive programming after 5/3/1

Question More aggressive programming after 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach Mac Ward said recently, elsewhere on this board:

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I am also left to wonder why you running TM at your age...TM is tough, and VD is typically not run at 225.
    Peanut gallery wants to understand this and hopefully get some guidance on current self-styled programming.

I'm 46 yrs, 5' 7", currently ~ 188 lbs, and exhausted LP about a year ago (maybe longer). At that time (about a year ago) I switched to 5/3/1 until a few weeks ago. 5/3/1 provided an obvious way to space-out my sessions for recovery from self-inflicted groin and shoulder injuries. At that time I was too ignorant to recover using SS techniques; maybe I still am.

After about a year of 5/3/1, I became impatient. My goal is to squat 315 lbs on volume day, pull 405 lbs 5-across, and press 185 (close to bodyweight). It didn't look like I was going to get there. Maybe I was misusing 5/3/1, but I thought I needed to train with more predictable volume and intensity.

So I switched myself to a TM 4-day split (bastardized?); please see below. Intensity day press not shown. Today's ID press target is 147.5x5x1 (1 set of 5). I am alternating intensity bench and intensity press between weeks.

MONDAY

ID Chins + 22.5 lbs to failure (11,11,10)
    VD Press 127.5x5x5
    Light Bench 185x5x3

TUESDAY

VD Squat 255x5x5
    Clean 135x3x5

Rest time between VD squat sets is 6 minutes.

THURSDAY (last)

ID Bench 200x5x1
    Light Press 125x5x3

FRIDAY (last)

VD Chins 20x6 (20 sets of 6)
    ID Squat 280x3x2
    Dead 360x3x2

I've kept up with this for a few weeks. Maybe it will turn and devour me. But for now I'm enjoying the chase. It seems to be chipping away at plateaus on my squat and deadlift. Ruminations and advice would be very welcome.

Thank you,

Vince

Not a bad set up. My general recommendation for those who stall on 531 but like the set up is to keep the basic template, but change everything to sets across instead of just a single top set to failure

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Not a bad set up. ...
    Gold! I'm keeping it. Now I have to reread parts of PPST3 for what to do after ID days reach 5 sets of 1.

Thank you Andy,

Vince

I admittedly don't own and haven't read PPST3 yet, but I'm just curious, shouldn't there be a Light Squat Day in there somewhere? Or at some point does the lifter remove LD to get to a 4 day split?

You can squat light on DL day. Some need a light squat day, some dont

Do you recommend doing the light squat before deadlift as a warm-up or is that just pretty much a personal preference thing?

starting strength coach development program
    Personal preference