starting strength gym
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i bulk up fast with gomad or go slow?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't think you'll benefit from GOMAD; you'll get heavier faster, but I don't think you'll get stronger faster than if you just ate enough to grow. Read Jordan's article linked above, eat more, but in proportion to the rate of training progression. You may not think you care now but theres no need to create more work for yourself since you would not really progress faster with the extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    One day dickheads will stop trolling Zach. Until then, I do think it's funny how they always post the same unflattering pic. And they always cry about how he looks even though this is a strength training board.

Oddly enough, I've yet to see any of the trolls post this:

Or this:

http://youtu.be/aXfOdvd-sJ0?t=298
    Yep.

If you think Zach got fat then you must have some douchey hollywood standards of fat.

Enjoy staying small and weak, I guess.

Just to be clear, Zach didn't get fat. But that doesn't change my above suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Just to be clear, Zach didn't get fat. But that doesn't change my above suggestions.
    I agree. I actually don't think the OP needs GOMAD either. As long as he can eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Sutton View Post
    Yep, he too could look like Zach:

There's no need for a 175lb guy to do GOMAD. .
    Send me PM and I'll show you pics before and after GOMAD, from 175 to 220

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboots View Post
    Tiburon -> Are you familiar with the work of Dr. Casey Butt?
    Never heard of him. Don't see anything
    https://scholar.google.com/scholar?a...en&as_sdt=0,22

Jonathan Sutton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    One day dickheads will stop trolling Zach. Until then, I do think it's funny how they always post the same unflattering pic. And they always cry about how he looks even though this is a strength training board.
    Hah, I knew that would get a reaction. Maybe I should start winding you guys up more often :-)

I'm just joking around - Zach sure put on a lot of chub (if you guys think he's not fat in that picture, well, I guess we have different standards) but I don't think there's anything wrong with what he did. My point, and I think quite a few people agree, was that the advice for someone to do GOMAD at 175lb is out of date and sub-optimal, and that Jordan's blog and forum would be a much better way to get information about putting on weight quickly. With the OP's lifts - empty bar squats, 150lb deadlifts, 50lb I think bench - GOMAD is going to get him much fatter than he needs to be. If he was 135lb, well, maybe. But he's not.
    Last edited by Jonathan Sutton; 04-09-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: can't type…fat fingers...

Dr Casey Butt Phd, author of “Your Muscular Potential”, has analyzed anthropometric
    measurements of more than 300 drug-free champion bodybuilders and strength athletes
    from 1947 to 2007. After 6 years of research he has come up with a set of equations to
    measure your genetic potential based on your height. For a guy with 7” wrists and 9”
    ankles who wants to achieve a muscular body with 10% body fat, this is the maximum
    body-weight you can achieve naturally according to his data...
    · 5'8” => max 190lbs
    · 5'10” => max 199lbs
    · 6'0” => max 207lbs
    · 6'2” => max 216lbs
    This is NOT your lean body mass, this is your total body-weight when you step on the
    scale for your given height and at 10% body-fat. Quote from Dr Casey Butt Phd:
    “In reality, it will take years of dedicated, productive training for most genetically typical
    trainees to even approach these predictions. Most people, including champions, will
    never achieve this level of development throughout all of their muscle groups - and
    measurements taken at higher body fat levels do not reflect true muscular development.
    If you reach 95% of most of these predictions - in lean condition - you will stand out in
    almost any gym. In fact, 95% represents good lifetime goals for most genetically typical,
    drug-free trainees. At a lean 90% you'd look like a fitness model.“

Not a hard and fast rule, more like an estimate. You're right tho, I could easily stand to gain more weight. But just cause I'm 5'11 185lbs, doesn't mean I'm skinny.

Jonathan Sutton Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboots View Post
    · 5'8” => max 190lbs
    · 5'10” => max 199lbs
    · 6'0” => max 207lbs
    · 6'2” => max 216lbs
    These seem like really low-ball estimates. I'm 196 at <20%, and I sure don't feel close to my genetic limits. At least, my skinny arms hope not!

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast