starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making changes in Icf 5x5

Default Making changes in Icf 5x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing Icf 5x5 for the past 3-4 months but I've come to the conclusion that I can barely handle the volume. My workouts are getting too long, am plateauing very often and have injured my hips and shoulder. I was thinking of switching the shrugs, skull crushers and chins for dumbbell pullovers on workout A and switching the rows, close grip bench and curls for weighted chins on workout B. Do you think this would be okay? Would I lose any size by lowering the volume?

By icf 5x5, I assume you mean Jason Blahas program?

Before anyone could give a fully satisfactory answer they would need info like how much you squat, bench press, deadlift and press; what you weigh, your age and gender. What you eat might also be useful.

All of that being said, have you looked at the SS program. It has significantly less volume in everything, so you could probably do it for longer. You can always gain the size you want later. Consider SS a short term investment. It will make getting big easier later on.

Quote Originally Posted by kwermuth View Post
    By icf 5x5, I assume you mean Jason Blahas program?

Before anyone could give a fully satisfactory answer they would need info like how much you squat, bench press, deadlift and press; what you weigh, your age and gender. What you eat might also be useful.

All of that being said, have you looked at the SS program. It has significantly less volume in everything, so you could probably do it for longer. You can always gain the size you want later. Consider SS a short term investment. It will make getting big easier later on.
    Thanks for the reply, as for my stats I'am still a weak novice. I'm 17, weigh 130 and am a male. My deadlift and squat prior to injuring my hips were a 285 dead for 1x5, and a 185 squat for 5x5. They are currently at 255 for 1x5 and 135 for 5x5 and going back up without any problem. My benchpress is currently at 135 for 5x5. I know I probably sound like a small weakling, but I started out at a bw of 115 and benching 65lb. I dont know how much calories I'm eating(I would guess around 3000) but I'm gaining about a pound every 1-2 weeks.

I know on strong-lifts you are able to do dips on workout A and chins on workout B. So I would basically BE doing that except I would be doing dumbbell pullovers instead of dips and still be doing core work. I chose pullovers instead of dips because it works my rear delts instead of my anterior delts like on dips. I believe my shoulder injury occurred because I have underdeveloped rear delts. Pullovers also work alot of the muscles that the exercises I'm excluding do such as lats. I would also still do core work to prevent injury.

If I still find it to be too much volume and I can always decrease it to something more like SS.

Just...do starting strength. And forget about stupid shit like delt imbalances. And eat like your life depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdonny1234 View Post
    My workouts are getting too long, am plateauing very often and have injured my hips and shoulder. I was thinking of switching...
    Just switch to SS and run with it. You'll get stronger, faster.

Run the SSLP, or even Greyskull LP towards the end of the novice stage. It is unlikely you have a rear delt imbalance at 130lbs with a 135lbs bench press. Chins are mandatory, some arm work is okay.

What the hell is ICF ?

some LP from a youtube blowhard.

All the youtube kids in the gym I work at are hyper-focused on their rear delts for some reason; I assume that's what all these internet personalities talk about. ICF is like the new generation of babylover's LP.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdonny1234 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, as for my stats I'am still a weak novice. I'm 17, weigh 130 and am a male.
    ffs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast