starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting after or during SS?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

change the things you eat, not the amount. Buy whey protein if You don't have it already. Learn to distinguish hunger from munchies Also, before You even begin to cut, do Yourself a favor and write weekly food intake in some spreadsheet. Get rough estimates on fat % in each product. This will be boring in the beginning but You will see where the fat is coming from (mind sugar also) and go from there. This is what i'm doing and my BF is going down thanks to few substitutes like switching from fried meat to grilled. Reducing fruits (since they have a ton of sugar - be it good or bad doesn't matter). And drink water instead of everything else but milk (one glass a day or two is enough and has more benefits that not drinking it at all).

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dreadMoros View Post
    Hi,

change the things you eat, not the amount. Buy whey protein if You don't have it already. Learn to distinguish hunger from munchies Also, before You even begin to cut, do Yourself a favor and write weekly food intake in some spreadsheet. Get rough estimates on fat % in each product. This will be boring in the beginning but You will see where the fat is coming from (mind sugar also) and go from there. This is what i'm doing and my BF is going down thanks to few substitutes like switching from fried meat to grilled. Reducing fruits (since they have a ton of sugar - be it good or bad doesn't matter). And drink water instead of everything else but milk (one glass a day or two is enough and has more benefits that not drinking it at all).

Good luck
    So you would suggest to reach my calories with a higher share of protein and less fat and carbs? I'll admit, I'm probably more on the dirty side. Followed the SS advice on milk maybe a little bit too extreme, I'm drinking 1-3l of milk every day

The milk is not a problem when you look at nutrition label, rest of the food is. In my case I focused on removing unnessesary fat from diet without decreasing total calories. When you make the spreadsheet it will be much easier to find substitutes for most of the stuff. But do it in small steps so You dont endup eating what you dont like just because its a little heathier. Also i cleaned up sugar and "bad" fat first and for now it is sufficient. Good luck and be patient.

There are websites and apps that make tracking a LOT easier. I use myFitnessPal but there are many others out there. When I first started using it three years ago and just tracking what I was eating before I started changing stuff I could not believe how horrible I was treating myself. Fat was out of control.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Theoretically, but in practice not so much. Diet is the majority driver.
    Absolutely, but having more muscle mass to help burn calories when on a dietary restriction/cut will work much better. Speaking from personal experience which may not be reflected in every individual case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12