starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift frequency progression in NLP

Default Deadlift frequency progression in NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started NLP with alternating deadlift (A workout) and power clean (B workout). I had prior deadlift experience, but no squat or bench experience, so I started the program with DL at 90% of my 5RM (290, so started at 260) and just added 5 pounds. Now I'm back at 290, so from here it out is uncharted territory. Especially with continuously heavier squat sets preceding the deadlifts. Power clean is done for 1/2 deadlift weight.

I will DL once this week (BAB week), and scheduled to pull twice next week (ABA week). I do think I can make 5 reps with +5lbs in each of these sessions, but I'm not sure how much longer that could be sustained.

Should I keep the frequency at 3 times in two weeks for as long as possible? If so, how do I know it's time to lower the frequency (I assume it is not making 5 reps two sessions in a row, given technique is on point and rest/recovery are adequate)? Is performing 2 sets of 3 (then 3 sets of 2) at the 3x/two weeks frequency advisable if it allows for weight to continue to be added?

Or, should I lower the frequency to once per week? Such as:
    - Monday: Row + Chins
    - Wednesday: Deadlift
    - Friday: Power Clean

Or, go right to once every 9-10 days?
    - Monday: Chin
    - Wednesday: Deadlift
    - Friday: Chin
    - Monday: Power Clean
    - Wednesday: Chin
    - Friday: Deadlift

Assuming you've correctly addressed The First Three Questions, and technique is in order - both big ifs - then I like to avoid failure in the DL when possible. The issue is that a Novice doesn't have the personal lifting experience and data-set to know when he's really going to fail and when he just thinks it's getting hard but is actually still moving just fine. So for someone uncoached, I often suggest just going till you miss twice in a row, then switching to once a week on the re-set. I know lots of people have run the second version above where you DL every 9-10 days but I don't like moving to less than once a week. However I'd structure it with DLs on either Monday or Friday, chins on Weds, and cleans on the other bookend day. If you're doing the cleans, I'd probably save rows for later. Your low back will likely need the recovery to continue to add 5 lbs every week and still do heavy cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Assuming you've correctly addressed The First Three Questions, and technique is in order - both big ifs - then I like to avoid failure in the DL when possible. The issue is that a Novice doesn't have the personal lifting experience and data-set to know when he's really going to fail and when he just thinks it's getting hard but is actually still moving just fine. So for someone uncoached, I often suggest just going till you miss twice in a row, then switching to once a week on the re-set. I know lots of people have run the second version above where you DL every 9-10 days but I don't like moving to less than once a week. However I'd structure it with DLs on either Monday or Friday, chins on Weds, and cleans on the other bookend day. If you're doing the cleans, I'd probably save rows for later. Your low back will likely need the recovery to continue to add 5 lbs every week and still do heavy cleans.
    Makes sense, thanks.

The thought with 1x/week DL on Wednesday is that will eventually be the light squat day. But until then, it makes sense to start or end the week with DL, chin or PC on the other two days.

I don’t row now, and would rather get better at chins anyway - so will leave rows out for now.

I’ll see how things goes these next “A” sessions, then start the 1x/week structure after that.

I've found the DL on the light squat day works really well at first, but as everything gets heavier and harder and closer to the end, that DL effects Friday's squats quite a bit, so I usually Move it to Monday. You could just start with it on Monday in the first place, since the advantage of having it on Weds is psychological, not physiological, far as I can tell.